Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
19863579

I have never asked

Customer Question

I have never asked questions on these sites. However, the symptoms I am experiencing are really starting to get in the way of my life. I have struggled with bulimia for years. I am doing better but still struggle with B/P. I've noticed things like double vision, weakness, feeling intoxicated even. I went to eating disorder treatment around Christmas. It was hard to adjust to being "healthy". I was also having problems with blood pressure changes, heart racing, etc. One day I noticed the left side of my mouth was tingling and drooping a bit. I stood up and fell over. Felt disorientated and could not walk in a straight line. My heart was racing and I felt dizzy. The next several days I had more similar symptoms, also tingling and weakness in my limbs, mostly left side. I went to the ER. All they did was check my electrolytes which were fine. The next day I saw my doctor because it wasn't getting better. My legs and balance were so bad I couldn't walk well enough to work. I work with children with special needs and it requires lifting. My doctor sent me to the ER at another hospital. They took me more seriously. They admitted me based on my gait, muscle rigidity and tremors, etc. In the hospital they gave me blood tests, lumbar puncture, MRI of head and neck. Nothing was abnormal. My head MRI did show brain shrinkage and a couple of lesions. The doctor just said it was probably due to malnutrition.

Since that time I have resumed my life. I am back at work. I never have any energy though to do anything outside work. I have always had chronic lower back pain and neck pain. But I do lift children all day long and my stress level gets pretty high (working 1:1 with a child with a degenerative illness and seizures). I still experience weakness in my legs, excessive fatigue, lightheadedness, feeling disorientated, tingling on left side of my lip, shivering when not cold, rigid muscles, pain, tingling and numbness, feeling in my legs and feet like a cell phone is buzzing, and still am not able to walk a straight line. I have also had severe constipation that makes my back pain worse and I retain so much fluid my eyes become puffy. I am constantly falling over to the side or my knees buckle under me. I'm so exhausted all the time it's hard to do anything. I don't want to make a big deal out of nothing...I just am not sure if this is related to my eating disorder or something else. If it is my eating disorder, is it related to my current symptoms or past damage. I have also struggled with chemical dependency. I have been sober for over 3 years. I am normal weight. I do B/P about 2-3 times a week. I use to take a lot of diet pills, diuretics and laxatives. I don't anymore. I am doing the best I can at this point. I just want to know if I should go for a second opinion. I keep thinking it will just go away. It's not though. I continue to feel frustrated with all these symptoms.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

Dr. David : Hello. Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling frustrated with your symptoms. I will do anything that I can to help you. From your description, it sounds like you have already had all of the recommended testing for the symptoms that you are experiencing in order to rule out organic causes such as brain or spinal cord lesions, hemorrhages, and other such disorders. One thing that may not have been checked adequately is the thyroid gland. Many of your symptoms resemble a condition called "hypothyroidism" or "low thyroid". This is an under-diagnosed condition and it is overlooked by many physicians. Symptoms can include great fatigue, exhaustion, severe constipation, muscle weakness, and puffiness around the eyes. The screening test commonly used is called the blood "TSH" level, and it misses most cases of hypothyroidism. Often times it is necessary to perform a complete panel of seven different thyroid blood tests in order to properly diagnose a low thyroid condition including "free T3", "free T4", "reverse T3", "TG", "aTPO", "TSH", and "aTG". Do you know if you have had any of these blood tests performed? Dr. David
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello.

Why did you rate me poor service? Please let me know what information that I can give you so that you can give me a better rating. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quite honestly, a paragraph of information that really didn't answer my question is not worth $38. Kind of just sorry in a moment of not feeling well I decide to use my time to write this. Sorry. Thanks for responding though.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thanks for the additional information.

This is meant to be a back and forth discussion. You can ask questions until you are satisfied with the answer. It seemed that your question was concerning if you need to get a second opinion about your symptoms. Is that correct?

In order to determine if you need a second opinion. It was necessary for me to ask about which blood tests you already had. If you didn't have any of the blood tests that I mentioned, then my answer to your question is "Yes" it would be in your best interests to find a doctor who can do these blood tests for you.

What other questions do you have for me?