Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Over the last 12 months I have been getting more tired so have

Over the last 12 months I have been getting more tired so have had blood tests done which have all been ok except that my blood cells are becoming enlarged so I have been referred to the hospital where I have had a CT scan and a bone marrow test. The tiredness is constant and after sleeping well I wake up still tired but not sleepy. When we go out during the day I get so tired I have to come home. The tiredness makes me ach in my arms and legs and I have been getting episodes of becoming very hot (like in the change). My GP doesn't know why my cells are enlarged or if it is causing my tiredness. I go back for my results in a couple of weeks and am worried about the results but also what happens if they are ok but my blood cells carry on enlarging.

Welcome to Just Answer.

How is your hemoglobin level?

How are blood counts?

Did folic acid help?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My GP says my bloods are all normal even my vitamin B and I am not anemic. I was given the folic acid to see if it would help but it made no difference. I forgot to say that as I am coeliac she also did a blood antibody test for gluten which came back negative.
Did you have test for thyroid? liver?

Do you take any medicine?

How is your alcohol intake?

Are you overweight?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont know but I had nine tubes taken at the hospital on my first visit. I take enalapril and amlodopine for blood pressure and prescribed calcium/vitamin D. I very rarely drink just a glass of wine if eating out. I weigh ten stone and am 5 ft 5 ins. I have lost 10 kg since my last visit to my Gastric consultant in Jan 2012.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I meant 5 kg.
Thank you Monica, for the information,

Enlarged red cells can come from different causes.

It can be from deficiency states.

Deficiency of vitamin B12, folate can cause it.

You have tests for those already.

In celiac disease there can be malabsorption of nutrients causing weakness, loss of vitamins, folic acid.

In some cases it can come from medicine, alcohol but you are not taking alcohol that much.

Low thyroid state can cause weakness, fatigue.

In hypothyroidism there can be increased size of the cells.

You can discuss with doctor about it.

Liver or bone marrow disorders can also cause increase in size of red cells.

You had tests to see if there is any abnormality there..

Treatment will depend on finding out the precise cause.

If it is due to deficiency state, then replacement of the factor will correct it.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What happens if no answer is found will the cells keep getting larger and if this is the cause of my tiredness?
I hope, the doctors will be able to find out the exact cause from all those tests.This can be a factor for weakness.Then they can treat it specifically.