Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Hello, About 3 days ago, I slept on my right arm (my right

Hello, About 3 days ago, I slept on my right arm (my right ear was resting against it). I went to work the next day and sat at my desk. After work, my right trapezius and right shoulder were really tight. My back was a little tight too. This eventually subsided, but I am still tender in my upper front body area. I have a tender/dull ache in my front right shoulder and across to my right pec area. If I feel the cartilage area between my sternum and rib, it's tender. It's tender when I breathe in, but not out. If I cough, sneeze or burp, there's a sharp jabbing pain for a second below my right nipple/pec area. (similar to a jabbing pain if you slept the wrong way and are having spasms in your back. If I"m lying down, I'm fine, but it's too tender in my chest or I try to do a sit up or get out of bed. Walking around, I'm fine. Please help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 11 months ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti : I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.
Dr. P. Jyoti : hello would you like to chat on this?
Customer: sure,
Dr. P. Jyoti : hello
Dr. P. Jyoti : this is most likely muscle pain
Dr. P. Jyoti : your symptoms are typical of muscle pain
Dr. P. Jyoti : you can treat this at home
Dr. P. Jyoti : rest
Dr. P. Jyoti : RICE is the method of treatment
Dr. P. Jyoti : ice
Customer: hi, yes, it was hard to tell if it was muscle, but it only happens when i move or tender when i breathe in.
Dr. P. Jyoti : compression
Dr. P. Jyoti : elevation
Dr. P. Jyoti : thats right, thats what makes it most likely to be muscular
Customer: can this happen from sleeping the wrong way?
Dr. P. Jyoti : if it was something inside you wouldnt have this
Dr. P. Jyoti : yes, from sleeping the wrong way
Dr. P. Jyoti : thats certainly the cause
Dr. P. Jyoti : also do gentle stretching exercises
Dr. P. Jyoti : stretching exercises of the arm
Dr. P. Jyoti : this will give you relief
Dr. P. Jyoti : any severity of symptoms and you should go to the ER
Dr. P. Jyoti : but i am pretty confident that its just muscle pain and these steps will be sufficient
Dr. P. Jyoti : Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.
Customer: my girlfriend had to help me up the other day. it really affects you. it's happened to me before, but in the back area. i usually sleep twisted on my pillow.
Dr. P. Jyoti : thats right, odd positions of sleeping can cause this pain
Customer: i'll try to sleep in a better position next time. Thank you so much for your help and have a great day!
Dr. P. Jyoti : have a program of gentle stretching exercises everyday, this will make your body more flexible and prevent such pains
Dr. P. Jyoti : glad to help
Customer: I'll do that. thank you
Dr. P. Jyoti : Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
Dr. P. Jyoti : Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.