Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I was in the ER last night for a four day bout of nausea and

I was in the ER last night for a four day bout of nausea and vomiting. They did a CT scan and told me it was normal and I have gastritis. After I got home I started having bright red blood in my stool and when I pass gas. Is this normal or do I need to go back to the ER?

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 48
Have you seen a Doctor about this?: Yes
If yes, what was the diagnosis and the treatments or procedures performed?: They told me I have gastritis and gave me Phenergan supp

Associated diarrhea?

Pain in abdomen?

Mucus in stool?

Pain during defecation?

Burning sensation and itching around anus?

Are you taking any other medications?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just diarrhea and I take Prozac

Thanks for providing more information.

Well as you have blood in stool and diarrhea so it suggests possible causes like Gastroenteritis,Intestinal parasitic infection,colitis,Inflammatory bowel disease.

And it shouldn't be ignored so i suggest you to consult your regular doctor for a clinical examination and undergo further blood work like CBC,ESR,stool routine examination,colonoscopy for further evaluation.

Blood in stool can also be caused due to anal fissure,Hemorrhoids so an ano-rectal examination should be done in your case.

A referral to gastroenterologist should be considered in your case.

If you are unable to contact your doctor today or tommorrow then you should visit ER.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.