Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Im 46 and in great shape. 62", 195 and 6 % body fat. I dont

I'm 46 and in great shape. 6'2", 195 and 6 % body fat. I don't smoke, limit red meat consumption and eat pretty healthy. I workout 6-days a week and do both weights and cardio. Over the last four months I've quit drinking beer and I have been drinking a lot of high fructose, highly caffeinated energy drinks. That said, I've been getting short, quick chest pains periodically when I workout or after I take a hot shower at night before bed. The chest pain is my heart and it seems to be beating abnormally. It last anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute. I'm sure the energy drinks are not helping but I'm wondering if I am displaying any other signs of a heart problem?
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

For how long you have chest pain?
Do you have chronic cough or breathing discomfort?
Numbness in left arm or shoulder?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had chest pain more steady now for about four months and it seems to coincide with my caffeine intake increase. However, before at times i have had minor chest pain, but now, I have much more frequently. I do not have a chronic cough nor breathing discomfort. I show symptoms of numbness in my left arm nor shoulder. I do have strong work stress and at times emotional stress that could be considered anxiety, but at the times of the episodes I'm not in stressful situations. Thoughts?
Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Well, it is true that excess use of Caffeine can cause chest pain, and make one fear for getting heart disease.
Stress and anxiety related issue would also worsen your condition.
To be honest with you, Such symptoms are not related with heart disease. No need to get panic. You are are not suffering with any serious issue.

You should decrease intake of caffeine.
You should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga. This would be very helpful.
One should avoid caffeine, alcohol.
For chest pain, you can occasionally take Non-steroidal
anti-inflammatory drugs like- Motrin. Such symptoms can occur with inflammation of the cartilage joining ribs to chest bone. It is this inflammation that causes the sharp chest pains inside the chest wall.
Nerve can be compressed due to inflamed cartilage and thereby the pain can be felt in arm too.

Please be relax, and get an appointment with your doctor and discuss this issue.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The chest pain though is confined to my heart specifically and I also feel like a skip or sharp pain for several seconds, again, specifcally in my heart. It's not my chest that tightens per say, it's my heart that feels like its skipping which causes me to stop what I'm doing for a several seconds or more.
Davis, I can understand your concern.

Anxiety, or drinking a lot of caffeine-containing beverages may cause skipping of heart beats along with sharp pain in heart.
Yes, your symptoms are related with caffeine intake. Most likely these are not related with heart disease.
However for peace of mind, you can get EKG, blood work done.

Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, Experienced Family Physician