Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am 60 years old and lately I am losing my hair. I am afraid

Customer Question

I am 60 years old and lately I am losing my hair. I am afraid I will be bald! At this time it is not extreme lose but I notice alot of thinning and when I do my hair I notice it laying in the sink. It has thinned out mostly around the front sides and top. I am in good health otherwise and am not on any meds and do take biotin in hopes it will help. What could be some of the causes of this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay--I just got on line. How are your nails and skin and do you have any problems with fatigue or weight gain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nails and skin are dry and have always been dry. I live in Montana so that is a common problem. Although my feet are extremely dry and crack alot and need constant attention. This has been a problem all my life
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--how's your scalp--any itching, scaling, redness?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None of that and also no weight gain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need to go to a meeting so will have to continue this a bit later
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. While this could just be just alopecia--a temporary problem with hair loss--I would suggest you get your thyroid function tested along with vitamin A and E levels, and I would check you for anemia and low iron levels since any of these could be the problem. It would be best to see a dermatologist about this since for alopecia, minoxidil and Propecia are medications that can help