Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I have a very deep cough that is productive with green mucus

Customer Question

I have a very deep cough that is productive with green mucus and a slightly congested nose with primarily clear mucus. The cough is very painful and spastic at times that i can't even catch my breath till it passes. It has gotten so bad that it wakes me up from sleep. April 29th I went to my PCP and was diagnosed with asthmatic bronchitis that seemed to clear up by may 7th with prednisone, inhalers, nebulizer treatments and an antibiotic. I don't hear myself wheezing as bad like the last time but my chest feels tight and hurts A LOT. Do you think this could be a relapse or just a cough due to post nasal drip?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
JACUSTOMER-7kidqcbb- : Hello
Anthony Bray MD : i would advise you to follow up with your doctor ASAP on this. It sounds to me that you may have a rebound if a lower respiratory may benefit from another course of antibiotic...
Anthony Bray MD : Your wheezing would be associated with asthma and this may be made worse by either allergen exposure such as pollen or a lower respiratory infection either....
Anthony Bray MD : does it hurt to take a deep breath or cough??
JACUSTOMER-7kidqcbb- : Yes it does and i really cant take a deep breath without going into going into a coughing fit
Anthony Bray MD : this could be sign if pleuritis = inflammation of the layer between the lung and chest wall--- this is commonly due to lower respiratory infections. This may be caused by bacterial or viral infections...
Anthony Bray MD : Ok ...I think that you would benefit to have your doctor examine your sinuses, throat and lungs. A chest X-ray might be considered. If your cough is productive then a sterile cup might be provided to obtain a sputum culture...
Anthony Bray MD : Your asthma treatment may need adjustment during this time as well...
JACUSTOMER-7kidqcbb- : Thank you I appreciate the advice and will follow up with my doctor right away to see what needs to be added or adjusted
Anthony Bray MD : If further antibiotic treatment is needed then a switch to another class from the Zpak would probably be best...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!!
Anthony Bray MD : If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD