Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi doctor, you are online now. I have had a pain in my left

Customer Question

Hi doctor, you are online now. I have had a pain in my left side since last night. I took a muscle relaxer and it subsided to where I went to sleep. I woke up early about 5:30 or 6:00 this morning with the pain again it comes and goes about every 30 to 45 seconds. Yesterday I had a hard stool then a soft stool and today I had a soft stool and it was normal.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Tell me as much as you can again about the pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's my left side and it is a little in the front and right around he left side it comes and goes like every 30 to 45 seconds. No blood in stool no vomiting or nausea or anything. It feels like something could be inflamed. Not sure and the pain keeps me from sleeping and I am tired. Remember the gastro side after my endoscopy and colonoscopy that I had diverticulosis?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Where exactly though when you say your left side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it's in the front a. Little bit but more on the side. Would a Celebrex help me?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
But are we talking in your chest or in your abdomen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No doctor it is my side not near chest . Stomach left side
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And it hits you for a few seconds and then stops?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that it's what is happening. I took a Celebrex right now thinking it is inflammation of some kind.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, it doesn't sound like diverticulitis since in only comes and goes. It could be what's called splenic flexure syndrome which is a king of irritable bowel syndrome. The Celebrex could help, but probiotics would also help. Nothing too serious here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take culturelle probiotic every day. I gotta tell you I am glad the pain doesn't get hasn't gotten any worse and that it doesn't last any longer then it has already or I wouldn't be able to handle it. So how does one treat IBS?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
There are medications like Bentyl and Levsin so if it becomes a problem for you you can ask the GI about those
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see him until Tuesday can it wait until? I think I have to use the bathroom again brb
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it can wait until then--nothing serious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had another bowel movement it was very soft and normal in color and everything. But it doesn't appear that the Celebrex is working yet
Anyway to stop the pain coming and going in my side?
Is there anything natural I can do to help with this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Try some apple cider vinegar and some Mylanta
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A couple of questions for you doctor.
1. Won't the vinegar give me heart burn? I have been some what ok without needing to take Zantac again.
2. Doesn't Mylanta stop you from suing the bathroom and constipate you?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not if you take it with water. The Mylanta won't constipate you but it can help with dissipating the gas you probably have
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will try them but I do remember taking mylanta and it constipated me before.
How do I take it and how much vinegar in water and honey? I think I remember drinking apple cider vinegar and warm water and honey before to use the bathroom. And how much mylanta? Do I take at ten same time and how many times a day?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
A tablespoon of the vinegar in a glass of water and you can add some honey to that. A tablespoon of Mylanta twice a day. Take the Mylanta an hour before or an hour after the vinegar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting ready to have some breakfast should I still use the water and vinegar ? Or take the probiotic?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Take the probiotic and the water and vinegar now and have breakfast in a half hour
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I am doing it. I wish this pain would go away its hard to concentrate on business and I am also really sleepy and need a nap I haven't had much sleep yesterday mayb 3 to 4 hours last night about 6 or 7 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry too much about the pain and see if the vinegar and Mylanta helps