Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

Dr I have had this weird pain in my left side since last night.

Customer Question

Dr I have had this weird pain in my left side since last night. I haven't gotten any results back from the gastro yet I have an appt Monday
With him. The pain comes and goes like every 45 seconds.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Do you have any nausea, vomiting or worsennig of pain with meals?

Customer : No not hat I know of. I haven't eaten since dinner last night. I had a endoscopy and colonoscopy may 6 and was told everything looked good a polyp was found but that was it. I think they did biopsies and said they results back within 7 days but is haven't heard anything with that yet. I do have some gas coming on right now but the pain didn't seem like it was gas. No vomiting or anything like that.
mysticdoc :

Thanks for your reply.

mysticdoc :

Then this is not likely gastric problem.

mysticdoc :

Pancreatitis also unlikely since no relatio with food.

mysticdoc :

I will take it as muscle related problem.

mysticdoc :

Muscle spasm can cause this type of pain.

mysticdoc :

That is why muscle relaxant helped last night.

mysticdoc :

It may take few days to recover from muscle spasm.

Customer : Doctor I was told that I had diverticulosis
mysticdoc :

If you have back problem, that can also cause this.

Customer : Doctor I was told I had diverticulosis
mysticdoc :

Diverticulitis is another possibility but that will affect your bowel movement.

mysticdoc :

Constipation or diarrhea or blood in stool.

mysticdoc :

So, that is also unlikely.

Customer : Well yesterday I had a hard stool then another bowel movement and it was soft. I normally only have 1 a day but yesterday I have two.
mysticdoc :

Is your pain located at the lower left side of the stomach?

Customer : It almost feels like I pinch on my side of Siemens kind
mysticdoc :

That is where the diverticulitis related pain will be felt--lower left side.

Customer : A pinch of some kind
Customer : But it comes and goes
mysticdoc :

Ok --that sound more like pinched nerve or muscle spasm related.

mysticdoc :

Diverticulitis related pain worsens and will not improve with muscle relaxant

mysticdoc :

Still, you should avoid constipation --high fiber diet with fluids.

Customer : But it's every like 45 second and the pain is bad enough I can not go back to sleep
mysticdoc :

Ok.

mysticdoc :

Diverticulitis is a possibility --

mysticdoc :

That should improve with rest, fluids, diet.

mysticdoc :

Antibiotic course can be added.

Customer : Should I take gas x?
mysticdoc :

You can discuss with your doctor regarding this possibility.

mysticdoc :

Gas X will help with gas problem.

mysticdoc :

also a stool softener if you have constiption ( metamucil )

Customer : Well my second stool yesterday was very soft
Customer : So this is nothing serious and I will be okay until Monday when my doctors appt with the gastro.?
mysticdoc :

nothing serious

mysticdoc :

yes you should be ok.

mysticdoc :

in case, the pain worsens, you should go to the ER to rule out acute diverticulitis.

Customer : Do you think I should call the gastro office this morning when they open and find out about the test plus have them explain to the doctor about the pain?
mysticdoc :

Yes you should.

mysticdoc :

That will give you peace of mind.

Customer : Ok I will do tang
Customer : that
mysticdoc :

very welcome

Customer : thank you
mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer : doctoryou doctor?
Customer : doctor?
mysticdoc :

Yes I am Board Certified MD

Customer : are you the doctor that lives in California?
mysticdoc :

No i am based in NY

Customer : Oh ok I thought you were a doctor I may have spoke with before.
Customer : Thank you doctor I will wait for the office to open and call the gastro
mysticdoc :

Very welcome