Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am 8 weeks post revision of partial knee tl total knee i

I am 8 weeks post revision of partial knee tl total knee i am experiencing sudden onset of severe swelling f in my thigh directly above my knee combined with signicant increase in pain and warmth i I my swelling and pain had been steadily decreasing until the last 6;hours I did not a significant increase in activity I do not know it I need to consider this an emergency

Dr. P. Jyoti : I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.
Dr. P. Jyoti : hello would you like to chat on this?
Customer: Yes
Dr. P. Jyoti : hello
Dr. P. Jyoti : this is something to be considered an emergency
Dr. P. Jyoti : sudden swelling like this along with warmth and pain can indicate a hematoma or an infection
Dr. P. Jyoti : you could have developed an infected hematoma
Dr. P. Jyoti : you should contact your doctor directly
Dr. P. Jyoti : for now, you can use cold compresses on the swelling
Dr. P. Jyoti : if the swelling subsides or remains steady you can go tomorrow morning to your doctor
Dr. P. Jyoti : however if there is any continued increase of swelling or pain then you need to go to the ER
Dr. P. Jyoti : sometimes draining of the swelling may be required in hemoatomas and abscesses
Dr. P. Jyoti : Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti : do you have any questions?
Customer: just out of curiosity how would I have the hematoma 8 weeks postoperativelyI am a registered nurse but orthopedics was never my favorite area
Dr. P. Jyoti : thats right, normally you shouldnt have it so long
Dr. P. Jyoti : but sometimes a small unnoticed injury during exercise or rehabilitation can set off a hematoma weeks later
Dr. P. Jyoti : i mean, a small injury weeks after the operation can set off a hematoma
Dr. P. Jyoti : the previous sentence was a bit loosely worded
Customer: that would make sense as I really pushed in therapy this week in order to reach 120 degrees of flexion earlier in the week
Dr. P. Jyoti : thats right, thats the most likely cause
Dr. P. Jyoti : you need to get this checked up
Dr. P. Jyoti : do so tomorrow, preferably with your own orthopedician but if necessary at the ER
Dr. P. Jyoti : take care
Dr. P. Jyoti : Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
Dr. P. Jyoti : I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.
Dr. P. Jyoti : Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: thank you very much
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again and i am sure my ortho thanks you since I won't be waking him at 400 am unless it gets much worse of course for now i will ice elevate and pray my pain meds s start to work soon
Thats right. Do wish you an early recovery. And thanks for the nice rating.