Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

What is the treatment plan for a non Displaced subarticular

What is the treatment plan for a non Displaced subarticular fracture of the medial femoral condyle with Mark surrounding intramedullary Edema
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims : Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek
Dr Brims : When did the injury occur?
Customer: Knee started hurting on April 14. Fell on April 30 causing excruciating knee pain on the medial aspect of knee
Dr Brims : Okay, the treatment would likely depend on the size of the fracture, if it is small you may just have to stay of the leg for a month, if it is large and causing swelling then it may require surgery
Dr Brims : Are you there?
Customer: Just trying to give you more information. Fortunately this is under workers comp and am not sure if they're going to accept this as a trauma or a pre-consistent existing condition. In the report it says something about sonks which I'm not quite sure what that means
Dr Brims : sonks?
Customer: Just going to read some of the report medial compartment at the interior weight-bearing surface of the medial femoral condyle there is a flat 1.6 x 1.5 cm band of decreased inter medullary signal intensity underlying the subchondral bone plate. This measures 2 mm thickness Mark generalized intramedullary edema emanates from this region occupying a majority of the medial femoral condyle. There is mild chondral thinning at the weight-bearing surfaces of the medial compartment without significant degenerative osteophytosis bone marrow signal in the medial to be a plateau is normal. Nondisplay subarticular fracture at the weight-bearing surface of the medial femoral condyle with Mark surrounding intramedullary edema the location of fracture patterns are commonly seen with insufficiency type fracture. as with SONK no associate Meniscus tears are identified Please help me out with this I really don't trust the worker comp doctors
Dr Brims : Sonk stand for spontaneous osteonecrosis of the knee
Dr Brims : This means there may be some damaged dead bone
Dr Brims : Based on the size, I don't think you will need surgery at this time
Dr Brims : How is your pain?
Dr Brims : Hello?
Customer: How come you are not answering me
Dr Brims : I'm here, did you see my reply?
Dr Brims : Are you there?
Dr Brims : Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to see my replies in the chat session?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it bothers me quite a bit .
Have not been able to work. Work as a x-ray tech. Since I have been out of work there has been improvement. Work in a very busy hospital and my job is very physically demanding. Afraid to go back to work too soon and have another injury. When the pain started, I was on unable to weight bear on my left side. Because it said nondisplaced fracture does that mean it could get worse.?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
The fact that it is not displaced is good, it means it likely does not need surgery, it could get worse if you stress it, I advise you to stay off of the leg to allow time for it to heal , for 4 weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm scared this is the third fracture I had in three years. First it was my right knee then my right foot and now my left leg. I don't drink and I'm not overweight. So do you think I will be able to go back to work the middle of June? Just want your opinion sorry to bother you will leave you alone after this you have been very helpful
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
I think you should be able to go back to work at the end of June, if you still have pain, you should have your doctor do a bone density test, it is called a DEXA scan, it may help determine why you have recurrent fractures
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience