Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Looking for guidance on recent medication changes. My psych

Looking for guidance on recent medication changes. My psych doc switched me from wellbutrin to buspar, taken with prozac 10mg. I have been less nervous and believe it or not the sexual problems of low libido, erectile problems are much improved- i mean can prozac do that- iam mad i ever started it. The problem is on prozac and buspar my appetite especially for carbs is off the charts and my rls is way worse. Had to take tegretol at night for rls only but it wipes me out. What options would help with problems of anxiety, rls, excessive hunger, and the sex problems. Maybe i should get off prozac but at least it helped aniety after stopping xanax. Wellbutrin helped a little with sex and weight but gave mood of feeling artifically up, although mood improved a little 150mg.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Prozac is a SSRI and can affect your sex drive.

mysticdoc :

The increased appetite is likely related to the buspar.

mysticdoc :

The RLS is likely related to the prozac.

mysticdoc :

Now, there is no one medication that can address all of your problems.

Customer: this is kind of mind blowing- ithought this sex stuff was prostate or hormones here it must have been prozac-it makes sense
mysticdoc :

Since prozac and buspar combination are working, you can consideer taking Levitra or viagra to address the ED problem.

mysticdoc :

Now RLS is a challenging problem to treat.

mysticdoc :

However, instead of tegretol, you may consider ropinirole.

mysticdoc :

Ropinirole should not wipe you out.

mysticdoc :

Pramipexole ( mirapex) is another possibility.

Customer: the ed is actually helpde by buspar. family doc said to take tegretol for rls or this low dose clonazepam, but i am getting it almost nightly since on prozac/buspar
mysticdoc :

Ok, if buspar is helping with ED, that is good.

Customer: dont want clonazepam or tegretol nightly
mysticdoc :

Yes understand.

Customer: what about the prozac?
Customer: stay with it and buspar?
mysticdoc :

Prozac is working --so better not to stop it for now.

mysticdoc :

Yes correct.

mysticdoc :

Another option will be venlafaxine ( effexor).

Customer: what aboiut the excessive hunger, didnt have that on prozac and wellbutrin
mysticdoc :

This has less effect on sex drive

mysticdoc :

that is likely buspar related.

mysticdoc :

prozac should not cause weight gain.

Customer: oh i will discuss effexor with her, and ropr. with family doc, psyc doc did not want ot adress rls
Customer: maybe dose of buspar should be low
mysticdoc :

yes that is another option.

Customer: or should buspar just be on seual days
mysticdoc :

How much buspar you are on?

Customer: 10mg 2x
mysticdoc :

Ok.

mysticdoc :

you can try reducing dose to 5 mg twice daily.

mysticdoc :

If not holding, then 10 mg in the morning, 5 mg in the evening.

Customer: i mean maybe i can just be on prozac or effexor and take buspar only for sex, or should it be daily for the gad
mysticdoc :

actually buspar daily is preferred for gad.

mysticdoc :

However, if prozac or effexor works for you, buspar may be stopped and can be used on as needed basis.

Customer: oh just one question-can buspar really be reversing my se issues on prozac
Customer: thank you much!
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD