Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

The back of my right knee, in the middle, feels strange. I

The back of my right knee, in the middle, feels strange. I have enormous difficulty
squating down to put my knee onto the ground and then I have great difficulty getting
back up. There is no swelling and I have not had any direct trauma. I was using
the elyptical trainer in the gym and my hips started to hurt about the same time
the back of my knee started feeling strange. I am 57 years old and have been a bodybuilder for thirty five years. I do not train ballistically in the gym and never
place my knees below a right angle. Thank you!
Hello David,

Following are the possibilities of the diagnosis;

1) Tendonitis
2) Myofascial pain syndrome
3) Osteoarthritis
4) Bursitis

Any of these can occur concomitantly in any of combination due to a strenuous work. The treatment is;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant.
2) physical therapy; simple muscle stretch, augmented muscle stretch, post-isometric relaxation.
3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation, high voltage galvanic stimulation, biofeedback.
4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray
5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)
6) massage
7) steroid shots
8) acupuncture
9) brace
10) rest; avoid exertion or activities which cause pain.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.