Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I woke up this morning and when look straight up and down

I woke up this morning and when look straight up and down and side to dude there is an ache behind both eyes like a muscle strain when I look in those directions
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, this sudden pain or ache behind your eyes could be caused by multiple conditions ,specially if there are not external symptoms like eye redness or swelling like :

1- Glaucoma ( in this condition ,the internal eye fluid pressure increases )
2-High Blood Pressure
3- Optic Nerve Inflammation
4-Iris Inflammation
5-Sinusitis ( in this condition , the air filled cavities that surround your nose become swollen or inflamed )
6-Corneal abrasions or ulceration ( this is the transparent membrane that covers your eye )
7- Tolosa -Hunt Syndrome ( in this condition ,the back part of your eye suffers an acute swelling process ,if the problem becomes worse when you look straight up and down ,the eye socket could be affected )
8- Eye bacterial or viral infection

If this pain persists , You must go to the Emergency Immediately so you can be evaluated immediately , some of these conditions specially acute glaucoma could damage the optic nerve ,producing permanent vision problems .

The doctors will need to perform a physical examination , measure your blood pressure , a tonometry ( to measure the internal eye pressure ) and a fundoscopy ( to visualize the back part of your eye ) .

If the internal eye pressure has suddenly increased ,the doctors will give you medication to lower the eye pressure ( a prostaglandin,medications like brimonidine or a betablocker like betaxolol or timolol ), in severe cases , eye surgery could be necessary to open the clogged channels ,this will facilitate the drainage of fluid lowering your internal eye pressure faster ) .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.