Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My partner and employer of 15 years is a C6 quad whos been

My partner and employer of 15 years is a C6 quad who’s been in a wheelchair for 30 years. She’s exhibiting some peculiar symptoms of late and I’d like to get access to other quad’s opinions on the matter.
Any medical expert in the neighborhood have input from personal experience with quadraplegics?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

What symptoms she has been experiencing?

Customer: She' having lots of leg twitchings at nite while in bed. She's pretty much locked into one body confirmation during the day in her wheelchair and her legs mimic that same position when I get her in bed at night but she's never exhibited the kind of shaking that's now a part of the night time reality.
Customer: Do you have any experience with qua
Customer: quads?
mysticdoc :

Yes i do have experience with quads.

mysticdoc :

Leg twitchings can be a complication of her condition.

mysticdoc :

Muscle atrophy is the most common explanation.

mysticdoc :

Also the peripheral nerves can be affected.

mysticdoc :

Is she on any medication currently?

mysticdoc :

While in bed, please use pillows to minimize flexion at the hips, knees.

mysticdoc :

Also maintain normal lumbar lordosis during wheel chair seating.

mysticdoc :

Frequent change in positioning is helpful.

mysticdoc :

Also passive range of motion at the joints and muscle massages and physical therapy will be helpful to prevent the twitchings.

Customer: mostly sleep meds; (zyprexa, mitzaprazim, lorazapam, trazadon). levothyroxin, fosamax plus,
mysticdoc :

ok

mysticdoc :

There is a possibility of side effects from her medications.

mysticdoc :

Mainly zyprexa can cause this.

mysticdoc :

THis should be discusse with her doctor if physical therapy and position changes do not help.

Customer: I've been corrected; the spasms are in the middle of her back. It's painful; in her back and in her stomach.
mysticdoc :

They can be from the muscle contractures.

mysticdoc :

A muscle relaxant can be used like baclofen.

mysticdoc :

And physical therapy will be helpful.

Customer: baclofen is repulsive to her; extreme dry mouth
mysticdoc :

ok

mysticdoc :

what about flexeril?

Customer: she hasn't tried flexeril
mysticdoc :

this should be tried --should not cause same reaction.

Customer: the physical therapy stuff sounds like the right stuff, too but the actual doing, is something else, again
mysticdoc :

Home physical therapy should be tried first and is very important to prevent any further muscle and joint problems.

Customer: One of her legs is now contracted; that's been in the last 2 years. She haS scoliosis
mysticdoc :

Yes that is the problem

mysticdoc :

Physical therapy has to be continued

Customer: Things aren't getting any easier
mysticdoc :

it is a challenging situation but will get better with regular physical therapy.

mysticdoc :

And a muscle relaxant will comfort her

Customer: Thanks for the input.
mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: I've built a simple hookup that allows her to exercise her leg by pulling on a rope that runs thru 2 pulleys that's attached to the wall that forces her leg to move. She doesn't like doing it. So, she doesn't. I need to find some way to make it doable
mysticdoc :

Yes that will be helpful in later stages.

mysticdoc :

Initially, she needs passive exercises --massages, range of motion.

mysticdoc :

A physical therapist will be better.

Customer: I personally don't like doing physical therapy; to her or myself. We're not in a financial position to hire help and medicare doesn't want to get involved,either.
mysticdoc :

at least for next few weeks

Customer: yup; sounds like a good solution in the best of all possible worlds...
Customer: thanks for the input. Bye.
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD