Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I have problems with my legs. They feel very weak and I have

I have problems with my legs. They feel very weak and I have a deep pain in my left thigh area, especially when pressed. I feel as though I am about to take cramp in my shins when I point my toes and have actually been wakened in the night with cramp in both shins. I also suffer numbness in my groin area when I lie in bed.
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, if these painkillers your doctor is giving you are not alleviating your symptoms ,your doctor should investigate other conditions besides fibromyalgia that could be producing your symptoms including :

1-Low electrolyte blood levels
2- Medication side effects like diuretics ,blood pressure medications or medications to lower your cholesterol blood levels
3-Peripheral neuropathy ( in this condition,the peripheral nerve roots become swollen,inflamed or irritated)
4-Lower back herniated disc (in this condition ,the intervertebral disc slips out producing surrounding tissue inflammation,irritation and peripheral nerve root compression)
5-Inadequate leg blood flow caused by multiple causes including : varicose veins, leg blood vessel inflammation or the presence of clots that could obstruct or block the leg blood flow .
6- Leg bone joints inflammation or bone degenerative process ( osteoarthritis, arthritis or gout )
7- If the weakness and numbness persist ,you must go to the ER ( emergency ) immediately to rule out the presence of a brain stroke or ischemic event
8-Restless leg syndrome ,this condition is caused by the presence of irregular dopamine brain levels .

Your doctor will need to perform several tests to determine what specific condition is producing your symptoms including : a brain and lower back CT or MRI Scan, nerve conduction tests , ESR , uric acid blood levels , a doppler ultrasound to visualize your leg blood flow, your cholesterol and electrolyte blood levels .

With these tests , Your doctor will be able to determine what is producing your symptoms so you can be treated properly .

In the meantime, continue taking your medications ,get plenty of rest ,elevate your legs ,drink plenty of fluids ,massage your legs using lavender oil and drink chamomile or raspberry tea which are good natural remedies .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help I will make an appointment to see my doctor. I have been worried that i could be ignoring symptoms that need further investigation, I do suffer from restless legs but I never thought this could be connected to the pain in my legs.