Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Hi. My wife is suffering from extreme headaches. The last

Hi.

My wife is suffering from extreme headaches. The last time it lasted for 3 months. At night she will get very sore ribs and a pain in the head that covers mostly the left side from the upper jaw to the temple. It is so bad it makes her dizzy. Pain killers have no effect.

She feels that it is caused by an allergic reaction to smoke. I'm not convinced. She started taking apple cider vinegar in order to bring down high blood pressure. This seemed to help for a while. But it is back. The vinegar was causing sour stomach, so she stopped taking it.

The pain centres around the left sinuses, especially the node closest to the eye. It spreads to the Wernicke and Brocca areas.

When there is smoke in the area, she will get pain in the muscles around the rib cage. Suggestions?
WMT

Associated stuffy nose,phlegm at back of throat?

Is she taking any medications?

What is her current blood pressure?

Has she seen ENT specialist so far?

Clogged ears,ringing in ears?

Muffled hearing?

Shortness of breath?

Cough?

Heartburn?

Constant throat irritation and clearing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Associated stuffy nose, phlegm at back of throat?

At times, yes.

Is she taking any medications?

No.

What is her current blood pressure?

Unknown. I will see if we can get that.

Has she seen ENT specialist so far?

She went to a specialist some months ago, but there was a problem with her insurance, so she stopped. That has been sorted out, but she still hasn't been back.

On her first visit, the blood pressure was too high (just slightly above 147). On the second visit it was down to 120.

Clogged ears, ringing in ears?

No.

Muffled hearing?

Some, but we are both getting older.

Shortness of breath?

At times, especially when the pain is bad and it is hot out.

Cough?

Not much.

Heartburn?

No.

Some.

Thanks for providing more information.

It may be possible to have sinus pain and headache associated with smoke.

As smoke can be a triggering factor resulting in upper respiratory symptoms like cough,stuffy nose,pain around sinuses,forehead,pain in chest,shortness of breath.

However as she has some episodes of high blood pressure and she didn't check blood pressure frequently so headache in Wernicke and Brocca areas can be associated with hypertension.

So in my opinion,she shouldn't ignore her symptoms and a clinical examination by a doctor and blood pressure monitoring should be done in her case.

Blood pressure monitoring should be done for atleast for 5 days three times a day in the morning, afternoon, as well as at night and consult doctor with the readings.

In case her blood pressure'll be high again,she needs to take antihypertensive medications.

Also EKG must be done in her case.

She should also take some dietary and lifestyle modifications to keep control over blood pressure.

Do regular exercises,deep breathing exercises.

Specific diet for hypertension (DASH DIET).
For further reading -
www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

Also a repeat referral to ENT specialist can be considered.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Thank you.