Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained

I suffer from irritable bowels and bladder, and have developed

I suffer from irritable bowels and bladder, and have developed some other symptoms which no one can seem to explain. My right hand will suddenly start to turn red and the skin will become very dry, form tiny cracks which bleed. The redness is like a burn, not a rash. This happens suddenly, like over an hour or two, and may last from a few hours to a few days. It usually coincides with worsening bowel problems.

Last year I also started to develop cracked lips and oral mucosa peeling. Both of these conditions seem to come and go with no pattern. I do not smoke or have any dental appliances. I believe it's related to my digestive problems.

I have had 3 colonoscopies with no definitive diagnosis (just IBS). I had severe sphincter tearing during childbirth 26 years ago, and have had 3 sphincterplasty surgeries, with the latest one being 6 months ago. I do have continence problems because of this, along with the digestive disease.
Have you ever been tested for autoimmune disease ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. How is that tested? I have an appointment in 2 weeks and would like to know what diseases I should be asked to be tested for; and/or what tests I should ask for.

Well, sometimes diffuse symptoms as you have described can be attributed to autoimmune disease like mixed connective tissue disease, sjogren's syndrome, etc.

Here is an article:

Of course this may just be simple eczema, which is very dry skin that can be exacerbated by dry skin or even washing your hands too frequently. You can try apply hydrocortisone cream 1% twice daily to the affected area and keep the skin conditioned with a good moisturiser like cetaphil to see if this helps in the meantime.

Hang in there
Is there something else I can clarify for you or did I provide you with excellent service?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. There are a lot of possibilities within that article. I do know this is not simply eczema or dry skin. Moisturizers are not helpful at all; and in fact most make the problem worse. When the hand is burning all I can use on it are coconut or olive oil. Any commercial hand creams cause extreme stinging and make the redness and burning worse.

You are welcome.
I would also ask your doctor for a referral to a dermatologist- there are more powerful steroid creams which are not available over the counter which may be required to quiet the symptoms.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've already seen a dermatologist. They had no answers, just like everyone else. I feel I am no further ahead after asking my question here. Had I known only one doctor would answer, I would have requested a different specialist that could have addressed my mouth problem and how that relates to the hand and digestion.
Did you get tested for autoimmune disease as I suggested?