Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

Been having upset stomach - a burning in my belly followed

Been having upset stomach - a burning in my belly followed by diarrhea. Last week I also threw up along with diarrehea. Recenty started diet and exercise program. Also have MS. Believe was diagnosed with IBS but that was so long ago. It seems like once a week or every couple weeks. And always at night.

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied , You should consult a doctor to evaluate you , the symptoms you have been experiencing could be caused by multiple conditions including :

1- Stomach or duodenal ulcers
2- Gastritis ( Stomach lining tissue inflammation)
3- An Helicobacter pylori infection
4- The presence of a gastrointestinal infection
5- Gallstones, gallbladder or liver inflammation
6-Colitis ( Bowel inflammation)
7- IBS
8-Gastroesophageal Reflux or the presence of an hiatal hernia ( in these conditions,the stomach acid juices flow back into the esophagus )

Your doctor will need to perform several tests to find out what is happening including : blood tests, CBC, a stool sample analysis , an Helicobacter pylori test, pH acidity test,an abdominal X-rays , bilirubin levels, liver function tests and an endoscopy could also be necessary.

With these tests , your doctor will be able to tell you what specific condition is producing these symptoms so You can be treated properly .

In the meantime, you should eat smaller meal portions,avoid fried ,acidic or spicy foods , you could take some medications to decrease acid production like Omeprazole for few days to alleviate your symptoms, there are also some natural remedies you could try like mixing carrot with spinach juice and drink that beverage .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

history of IBS - no flares up for very long time. I may have eaten fatty foods that caused the distress. Have been on a diet since beginning of March eating fruits, veggies and a lot of protein. If I eat other than that then have problems. Don't usually have acid indigestion. Also have MS.

In that case , if your symptoms improve with this diet ,that is a really a good sign .

However , even if this is sporadic and only happens when you eat certain foods that trigger your symptoms ,you should still contact your doctor to have a further medical evaluation to be %100 sure there is not an underlying gastrointestinal problems besides your IBS involved .