Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

My son who is 15 months old has been with nasal congestion

My son who is 15 months old has been with nasal congestion And lots Of saliva.since january. The allergy Dr. Sent lots Of medicine two weeks ago such as albuterol, flovent, sudafed, cetirizine, loratadine, fluticasone. All And each we have given him for two weeks And he still have the same symptoms. Even he got more yellowish mucus running wich is concerning. It looks like infection. Dr. Gave him now amoxiciline for 10 days. But it is just to discard infeccion which she isn't sure he has.
my soon had a surgery when he was 14 days old because he got tear ducks coggled And infected Pretty bad. After three months his adenoids well swollen but it went away later on. But my son is snoring a lot when sleeping And don't know if it is just for nasal congestion.
Today, the first blood test came showing Platelets count higher than normal range. (up to 400, And my son is 443)
Not allergies to anything so far based On skin tests done.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to just answer?

Dr. Saha :

Does he have breathing difficulty?

Dr. Saha :

Did he have X ray or any imaging?

Dr. Saha :

You may be having difficulty in entering chat.

Dr. Saha :

I am changing to question & answer format.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Please reply to the queries so that I can answer your question better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry dr. I was changing the baby ;0). The difficulty breathing is due to nasal congestion or yhat is what we believe. He also Start coughing when he runs behind his older brother while playing around.. They run chest xray And said they are normal.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

It is OK.

When did he have the chest X ray?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A week ago.
We also notice that for months he has been breathing thru his mouth, we know that because when we cover his nose he continues breathing without problem And doesn't get upset.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Emily, for the information,

Normal platelet count is usually within the range of 150 - 400 in most labs.

There are different causes for the rise.

His count is not very high.

Common causes of high count is an acute infection, dehydration, anemia from different causes.

As the mucus is turning yellow & getting more copious then there can be an infection.

You need to take a review by doctor.

He is taking amoxicillin for 10 days.

It can be that amoxicillin is not working or the bacteria is resistant to it.

Mouth breathing can occur if there is an obstruction to nasal breathing.

You have tried different medicines & consulted allergist.

I would suggest to consult an ENT doctor to have an examination of his nose, if you have not done already.

There can be a few problems like deviation of septum, polyp which may obstruct his nasal breathing.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back so fast. In fact, he just started yesterday with amoxiciline, twice a day, Ihope it works. By the way, what is a ENT doctor?
Also, he seems not to swallow his saliva, is it cause for the nasal congestion too? thanks again
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You are always welcome.

As you have started amoxicillin yesterday only, you can wait to see its effect.

It can take 1-2 days to have full effect.

It can be that his nasal secretions are coming down through the back of nose to throat what is called post nasal drip.

This can appear as excess mucus, saliva.

ENT doctor is also known as otolaryngologist.

They are specialist in ear, nose & throat diseases.

He can examine the nose, throat more accurately with his instruments.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much.