Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

My niece has sudden lumps on her scalp and under her chin.

My niece has sudden lumps on her scalp and under her chin. They have been diagnosed as folliculitis and she has been prescribed flucloxacillin, but she thinks they may be connected with the recent dyeing of her hair. Can you help? They are not red and inflamed, but her neck glands seem to be up.
Welcome and thanks for your question , I am Dr. German and I look forward to helping you until you are satisfied, in most cases, when a person develops a hair dye allergy ,they present other symptoms besides these lumps and the reaction is usually immediate ,few minutes after you apply the hair dye.

The person begins to experience sudden redness in the scalp,itching and a burning sensation. They could also develop face swelling and breathing difficulty in the worst cases . They could also present peeling or flaking scalp.

With folliculitis ,the patient does not necessarily have red or swollen lumps ,it depends of what level of infection the patient has .

In the meantime, she should continue taking her antibiotics ,use an antibacterial soap to wash her shin and an oatmeal shampoo to wash her hair. If there is any discomfort ,she could apply a warm washcloth on the affected areas .

Next time, she dyes her hair , she should perform a quick patch test ,she will apply a very little amount of hair dye behind her ear and leave that for 24 hours , if she experiences any burning ,redness,itching or swelling ( allergy signs ) , she needs to remove the product immediately with a clarifying shampoo .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.