Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

1 wk after 2nd phlebotomy she developed a small lump in arm

1 wk after 2nd phlebotomy she developed a small lump in arm well below the needle site. she thought it was maybe a bug bite. 3 days later she woke up with extreme pain, swelling & redness of entire arm & went to emerg. a surgeon made an incision & stuffed to site with gauze to drain it. She is on oral + IV antibiotics. Terrible pain. Not much improvement after 48 hrs of therapy. An RN changes the dressing daily. She has been very prone to skin infections most of her life. could this be related to any of the diseases that you told me about in my previous questions?

Greetings.

Has she been diagnosed Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) infection previously?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont think so. She was in hospital in June 2011 for 1 week with swollen painful feet & legs (she could hardly walk) with blisters all over. They told us it was cellulitis.

Hello Sandra,

What did the culture test show?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr.are you referring to current infection or 2011 one?

The current infection; was a culture test taken?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am assuming so. We see the surgeon today for those results. Can I resume our conversation later today or tomorrow after seeing the surgeon?

Sure Sandra.

The culture test would identify the bacteria and also tell about the best antibiotic to cure the infection.

Let me know what surgeon said.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr., The surgeon may have the culture results tomorrow.(Fri) This is the 6th day of Antibiotics. The arm swelling is slowly improving but the RN who examined her today said a hard lump is remaining & may have to be excised tomorrow when we see the surgeon. I will let you know the culture results as soon as we get them Ok? Thanks
Thanks Sandra for the update.

Since it is slowly improving; this indicates that the antibiotic is effective. The lump may need excision if is not resolving by the antibiotic. If she does not have high grade fever, that too would point that present antibiotic is taking care of the infection. Co-trimaxazole is one of the good antibiotic in these cases.

Please let me know the culture result.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.