Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

HI there; I have apain in my right side abdomen. I went to

HI there; I have apain in my right side abdomen. I went to the walk in doctor ( weekedn service) who said I had blood in urine and to go to my doctor. She confirmed blood in urine ( she said my urine was 'fll of blood' though it was not visible to the eye if you see what I mean). She siad I had generalised pain in the loin ot groin area and that it may be kidney stones. She said ot go away and see if it settled down and when it had oto brign back another urine sample to check blood was no longer evident as blood in the urine is the thing that indicates 'nasties'. I was confused with her suggestion as I would have thought if it was kidney stoens there would be a next step to take now. Also if it does not settle down do I NOT bring in a urine sample to check blood gone. If there is blood in it does this not need to be checkd out sooner than later rather than just waitign to see if the pain subsides. I am a 49 year old feamle in good health. My periods were regular until this month when it did not appear and its regular time so it may be I am headign for menopause. Could the pain be an ovarian thing? I was thinking of goign back to her to clarify my above concerns but she is goign away to have her gall bladder removed and there will now be a locum at my surgery. Can a locum refer me to nhs for more testign or will it have to wait til she comes back from her operation.Thank you. The pain has been noticeable for a week.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

Did she prescribed any medicine?

Customer:

no - she mentioned the possibility of antibiotics if it turned out to be an infection tho she siad there was no sign of infection in urine ( as did the walk in doctor who I saw at weekend).

Dr. Saha :

Did you have any other test?

Customer:

no - it was a short appointment where you just srop in to see the doctor

Dr. Saha :

Blood in urine can come from different causes.

Dr. Saha :

Stone is a cause for it.

Dr. Saha :

Infection is also a common cause.

Dr. Saha :

In infection there can be other signs like presence of pus cells, casts in urine.

Dr. Saha :

Do you have fever?

Customer:

no - i was a bit hot and cold last week but this has passed; i feel slightly breathless on exerting myself but this is not pronounced.

Dr. Saha :

You can now have a repeat urine test, ultrasound examination of abdomen.

Dr. Saha :

If there is a stone, it can show up in ultrasound.

Dr. Saha :

The doctor can send you for the tests.

Dr. Saha :
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know

Customer:

Just to check whenis a reasonable time to coem back as in she said to me to wait until it settles down and then come back to do a urine test again to check it s clear ... but I m not sure how long I leave it until coming back again; if I come back within a few days is that too soon as in I dont want to waste her time by coming back too soon but on the other hand it feels like time is passing when I could be getting referred for an ultra sound?

Dr. Saha :

As you are in pain, you need not to wait.

Dr. Saha :

I would advise to follow it up with doctor.

Dr. Saha :

Please feel free to ask, if you have any further query.

Customer:

thanks - last question : she says she is going to have her gall bladder removed this week ( she was just making conversation ) so there will be a locum as she is one person practice. Can a locum kick off a referral or does he have to wait for her to come back to get the ok.

Dr. Saha :

A locum can also refer you if you have symptoms.

Dr. Saha :

You need to take an examination by locum doctor.

Dr. Saha :

If you have any further query, please feel free to ask.