Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

Going in for major surgery, what vitamins can I take

Dr. David :

Hello. Thank you for your question. At my clinic, we use a protocol of suggested supplements that can be taken to increase the rate of healing after surgery and minimize scarring. These supplements can be started about 2 weeks before surgery and continued until about 4 weeks after surgery. They can be stopped for a few days around the time of the actual surgery though. Here is the list: 1) High-potency multivitamin; additional individual vitamins to bring the total amounts up as follows: 2) Vitamin C, 1000mg per day; 3) Citrus Bioflavanoids,(NNN) NNN-NNNNg per day; 4) Vitamin A, 25000 IU per day; 5) Zinc with Copper, 15mg/1mg twice per day; 6) Vitamin E with gamma tocopherol, 400IU per day; 7) Enzymes such as Pancreatin or Bromelain, taken on an empty stomach for 2 days before surgery until 4 days after surgery. Another one to take immediately after surgery is homeopathic Arnica montana 30C. The dosage is 5 pellets dissolved under the tongue, 2 to 3 times per day for up to several days. Dr. David

hi
I was following your question.
Ironically, I am due for major surgery in 1 month as well.
Of note, you are supposed to stop ALL supplements, including vitamins and fish oil at least 2 weeks prior to the surgery
The reason is because some supplements will affect your ability to clot and may cause you to bleed more than expected. As well, it is difficult for the surgeon to predict who may bleed more than others (or clot more). The more you add to your regimen, the more confusing.
As well, you are not supposed to take any motrin or motrin like products for the same duration.
You can ask your surgeon about which vitamins are best following the surgery, but in general, centrum with iron will help for the blood loss in combination with a stool softener like colace- because iron is constipating. The rest can be restarted 2 weeks after surgery.

Hang in there.
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried for a nutritionist but you responded. I'm thankful that you intervened or I would be having to deal with unwanted issues of my 5/22 surgery. Is it s afe to fix a unbiblical hernia and recti dyastist

Yes, it is safe to fix an umbilical hernia and diastasis recti- I had that fixed myself (had twins which messed up my abdomen)
Had great results :-)

Make sure you take it easy- first 2 weeks minimal exercise and do not plan on exercise for 6 weeks post op. Abdomen is still a little tight, but looks great in bathing suit.
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ty. I hope your surgery goes well. Is the hernia repair and recti repair considered cosmetic? I have tricare prime insurance

Thank you..

No, this was not considered to be a cosmetic procedure for me although it was done by a plastic surgeon..
There is a defect in your abdominal wall which has the potential of causing issues later....

Dr. Cameron, Doctor