A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Digestive issues

I'm a 25 yr. old female that just had a baby 8 months ago. I started having some stress/anxiety when he was 3 months old. Maybe that's when my postpartum depression/anxiety began. I didn't expect to get depressed and sad most of the time. I've been off birth control for 2 months already because I'm scared of its side effects even though I've been taking it for more than 5 years already.

I've been depressed lately and also having health anxiety.

Anyways, I've been experiencing some mild abdomen pain sometimes randomly. Not when I'm eating or anything. Also since last week I used to go to the restroom after every meal and then I started paying attention to my stool and the colors. Now I'm noticing that I have yellow stool sometimes and I'm scared that it might be something wrong with my gallbladder even though I haven't been noticing severe pain or nausea or vomitting. I have been very gassy lately that I feel it in my whole body sometimes up to my chest because I burp a lot even if I haven't had a real meal. I burp when I'm sleeping too. The other day I noticed that I felt a pain in my abdomen when I was lying down on my right side and I think I felt a burning pain to my chest but that only lasted a few seconds and then I went to the restroom to have a bowel movement. Sometimes I would have a regular bowel movement, sometimes I'm constipated and will only have a clump of stool, and sometimes it's mainly gas and it comes out like a yellow mucus. I don't know if that's normal or if it's my anxiety. I want to find out how to stop the gas without taking protons like nexium. I'm just worried about it and I don't want it to be a chronic problem. Help!

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to know what's wrong with my digestive system and why ami so gassy? Can anxiety cause my stool to be sift and yellow? Mild abdominal cramps migratung to different places. And when I laid down the other night I felt a small pain from abdomen to chest that felt like a small burning sensation and then I had a huge bowel movement. Sometimes im constipated and sometimes I have small fizzles of yellow stool.

I'm sorry but there is no way to diagnose anything online since we can't examine you or run any tests.

Yellow stool is because it has come through the digestive tract too fast for the bile to develope its usual brown color.

Irritable bowel syndrome is one possible diagnosis. It is exacerbated by anxiety. Controlling the anxiety with medication and cognitive behavioral therapy can help decrease or even eliminate the digestive symptoms.

Your primary provider is the one you need to see to determine what is going on.

Kind regards,

Schuyler