Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

Rabies Pré- and post-exposure prophylaxis

Hello, I'm Tom from the Netherlands (Holland). January 2013 I had booked a vacation to Jordan and Dubai in the Middle East. At that time I read about the necessary vaccinations to go on a far journey. A optional vaccination seemed to be "Rabies". Since I read the vaccination-advise, I had become very very very scared to "Rabies". That's why I took Pre-exposure prophylaxis (3-shots) in march/april 2013. I went to Jordan and Dubai from 25th of april to the 9th of may 2013. In Jordan I became very scared because a stray cat had scratched me on my leg. Because the limited transportation possibilities I got my post-exposure prophylaxis of 2-shots in Dubai 4 days later. Now, I'm very scared of two things: First: is it possible that the vaccinations I took won't work, because these are not reliable? The vaccination I got in Dubai was: 1 Ml SII Rabivax (Liquid) form India (Based on Human Diploid cells). So, do I need to take another vaccination here in Holland? Second: Do you think I took the post-exposure prophylaxis of 2-shots too late? Because I took the vaccinations 4 days later. I would ask you to answer my questions. Could you please help me? I'm looking forward to your answer. Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question , I am Dr. German and I look forward to helping you until you are satisfied , there is no need to worry , these vaccines are reliable and with the doses you received , you have full protection .

There is no need for you to take other dose in Holland .

However , You still need to contact your doctor when you are back in Holland , You should receive a tetanus booster shot if you have not received a tetanus shot during the last 5 years .

If you did not receive the tetanus vaccination when you were a kid , You will receive the 3 tetanus shots for full immunization.

The doctors will perform a blood test if they consider it necessary , even when you received these vaccine shots we do not know in what specific clinic you received those vaccines ( if that clinic is a good clinic or not ) , so it is always advisable when you get to your home country Holland in this case to contact your local clinic to be 100% sure everything is fine .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr. German,

Thank you for your fast answer.

Before I went to Jordan I took a Tetanus-shot for 10 years protection. As a child I also received a Tetanus Vaccination, so I think I'm fully protected. But I'll ask my doctor.

Okay, so the Rabies vaccin I took in Dubai would be fine?

But I took the vaccinations 4 days after the (probably rabid) cat scratched me. So, "DAY 0" was 4 days later and "DAY 3" 7 days later. Like I said, prior to the journey I took 3 Pre-exposure Shots.

So do I have to worry that I will still get Rabies, despite the post-exposure vaccinations I took (too late)?

P.s. Hope you can understand my poor English (I'm Dutch)...

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Yes , you are fully protected ,there is no need to have more shots .

However , like you were in contact with this stray cat ,it is always recommendable for you to contact your regular physician to have a full physical examination when you get back .

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD