Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I had a wide excision of a dysplastic mole 3 years ago. It

I had a wide excision of a dysplastic mole 3 years ago. It is right next to my spine. Yesterday I noticed a tiny pink dot which is tender to the touch - almost like a pimple, right next to the scar line. I am totally paranoid about skin issues b/c I did have a basal cell last year. Is this something to worry about? Dysplastic moles can't spread and recurr can they? I was also wondering if it could be a stitch. I have very sensitive skin and even dissolving stitches sometimes have to be removed from me.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Do you suffer from any type of anxiety disorder?

Customer:

I don't think so - just anxious over skin issues b/c I have a history.

Dr Brims :

Is the pimple painful?

Dr Brims :

Is the dot painful?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

I am here. It is a bit tender.

Dr Brims :

Okay, then this i is not likely a mole recurrence, it is likely an inflamed sebaceous gland or pimple

Customer:

I almost feel like there's something under there - like I have in the past when I have had two separate stitches come through. But it has been three years so I didn't know if that is possible. I can't see it myself b/c it's in the center of my back, and my husband doesn't see anythign poking through.

Dr Brims :

I see, it is unlikely for a stitch to be there for this long, but you should have it examined to be sure

Customer:

should I wait awhile to see if it goes away? I only ask questions here b/c the referral process is long and annyoing to get into see the derm.

Dr Brims :

You may wait about 32-3 weeks before making an appointment to see if it resolves

Dr Brims :

2-3 weeks

Customer:

so nothing to worry about?

Dr Brims :

Nothing to worry about at this time