A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have recently had cataract surgery on my right eye with a

I have recently had cataract surgery on my right eye with a Toric lens being used to correct my near-sight-edness and extreme astigmatism (I was reading the charts at 20-400.) My left eye was successfully corrected a couple of years ago to 20-30 with this same type lens. This recent surgery had put me at 20-40 after a couple of weeks, with hopes of more improvement at a distance. Yesterday, though it was probably more gradual than it seemed, I looked up from my driving on a busy interstate highway to read the exit signs, and realized something was wrong. Things were not clear, and when I shut my good eye to test the newly-operated-on eye, everything was a complete blur! I had lost all the previous correction from the recent surgery. I will be calling my surgeon this afternoon for an appointment, but what, in your opinion, are the possibilities of what I could be dealing with here?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you. I'm sorry you've been waiting so long for an answer. I just signed on and saw that you hadn't been helped.

There are a couple of possibilities. One is that the lens has become dislocated. This can come from weakness in the area holding the lens (called the "capsular bag"). Some tissues are very delicate and can rupture. The problem can be fixed with a second procedure.

Another possibility is that the rear of the capsular "bag" that holds the lens has become opaque. This situation occurs in about 20% of cataract surgeries and is called "posterior capsule opacification." It can occur a few days after surgery or even months afterward. It is treated (often in the physician's office) with a YAG laser to remove the opacity.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you know whether this type of correction is necessary immediately or can it wait?

It needs to be evaluated right away. If it is the common PCO (posterior capsule opacification) it will most likely be done right there in the same appointment. If it is a lens dislocation, surgery would probably be scheduled within a few days.

Best regards,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So there should be no putting this off, no matter how inconvenient it is to bring it about right now.

Sorry, but that really is the case.

Best,

Schuyler