Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

Hi I believe Ive had a stomach virus for almost 2 weeks

Customer Question

Hi

I believe I've had a stomach virus for almost 2 weeks I'm not sure exactly what is going on with my body. I believe it was something I ate because the day after I had abdominal cramps and diaherrea. I took a tums for the cramps and they seem to have subsided I couldn't eat any whole foods because it wouldn't go down and I was having acid reflux in my throat. So I began to give my system a break drank plenty of liquids and ate a lot of soups and salads. I did that for almost a week and ever now and then would try to eat a sandwich. But I think I may have had soup and salad for too long because I started feeling really weak and would feel extremely light headed. I'm starting to eat whole foods but the diaherrea is still persistent it use to run through me and now it doesn't. Occasionally when I wipe there a flecks of light colored blood I went to the doctor for it and told me that it wasn't anything serious and to eat yogurt and soak my body in warm water. Ive done those things and so far the food that I eat is able to be contained in my stomach. Now I'm worried because my period came late and it doesn't appear to be normal usually I have cramps before this time I did not and its very light flow usually I experience heavy ones. I'm just worried that this may not be my period at all and could be something going on with my stomach instead. I have lost 5lbs I haven't vomited at all during this whole experience I've had a little bit of cramping after my period came but again I'm unsure of what I could be since the flow is really light. As for the acid reflux its no longer there sometimes when I do eat I feel some mucus build up which my dad told me to take coral calcium for. I'm not sure how long symptoms are supposed to last and I'm no sure if this anything serious or minor
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question , I am Dr. German and I look forward to helping you until you are satisfied, when you lose weight suddenly ,that could mess up your whole menstrual cycle so this light bleeding you have been experiencing could be caused by the problems you have been experiencing . In most cases , that is temporary until you are fully recovered . If you notice these menstrual changes the next months , You should consult your gynecologist to have a further medical evaluation.

In most cases , acute intestinal problems or stomach issues should not last more than 2 weeks .

If you can not still contain the food in your stomach after 2 weeks , a further medical evaluation is necessary to determine if other condition is involved like : gastritis ( stomach lining tissue inflammation) , stomach or duodenal ulcers , gallstones, a parasite or bacterial infection, irritable bowel syndrome( in this condition ,the bowel muscle fibers react irregularly to neural stimulation contracting too much or not contracting enough ) , pancreas inflammation or digestive enzyme deficiency .

Your doctor should perform some tests including amylase ,lipase,bilirubin ,liver function tests ,an abdominal X-rays and a stool sample analysis .

With these tests and performing a complete physical examination, Your doctor will able to determine which of these conditions is producing these symptoms You have been experiencing so he /she can give you an appropriate treatment .

With your menstrual changes ,there is no need to worry , this is usually temporary . If the changes continue the next months or you experience other symptoms like vaginal itching , cramps or vaginal discharge , You will need to contact your gynecologist to be evaluated.

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok well thats good to know about the menstrual cycle but as far as me containing food do you mean as in vomiting? diaherrea? or both? I use to have problems where when I would eat it would go straight through but that has stopped now its just that I continue to have diaherrea Also my body hasn't been giving me signals as to when I feel hungry or full could that also be a problem?

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.

What I mean of containing food is basically feeling an uncomfortable feeling after you eat like abdominal discomfort ,bloating ,abdominal pain ,indigestion ,heartburn ,abdominal cramps or diarrhea . If your body is not giving you signals when you feel hungry ,yes there could be a problem like gastritis ,colitis or stomach ulcers involved .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied .

Good luck to you and have a good day ! When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thats understandable so your saying that if the symptoms continue to persist I should go see a doctor? I feel like Im getting better because I'm eating more food I had diaherrea last week from whatever I ate went straight through now its not doing that anymore but the diaherrea is still there. I haven't any abdominal cramps or severe pain when I eat but I do feel bloated. And as of right now I am experiencing cramps but I'm not sure if its just from my menstrual cycle or from my stomach so I'm unsure how to target what is actually causing the cramps. I did go to the doctor for the flecks of blood I saw when I had diaherrea he didn't even perform a rectal exam and told me more or less that since I went to the bathroom consistently that I could possibly have a tear and just to monitor it. So I'm just unsure how severe this may be. My other question is if its normal to have two periods after being sick maybe one being very light and faint and the other being heavy ? Also how do you distinguish urine in your blood from the blood during your menstrual cycle ? I mean if there was blood in my urine would I still have the discharge too?

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Like I told you before ,if your symptoms do not disappear after 14 days, You will need not only a physical examination,additional tests should also be performed including a stool sample analysis .

Your other question , yes, you could experience heavier or lighter menstrual periods after being sick . If the problem continues or you bleed longer than 7 days or lose more than 80 ml of blood during your menstrual period , you should consult your gynecologist .

The main way to differentiate if there is blood in the urine or menstrual blood ,is checking yourself when you go the bathroom if there is blood coming from the vaginal opening ,that is your menstrual period .

Also in most cases , your period last no more than 7 days. After 7 days , if you see blood in the urine ,that is not your period and the blood could come from the bladder or the urinary tract .

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much I really appreciate it. I will let you know I things progress in a week or so. Thank you again

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome ,have a good night.