911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I am 29 years old my period was suppose to start 5 days ago

I am 29 years old my period was suppose to start 5 days ago and I am always regular when it comes to that, so for the past 5 days when I use the bathroom in th morning there is light blood.but not enough to wear a pad or a tampon and no blood when I use the restroom the rest of the day. My boyfriend and i had unprotected sex almost 2 weeks ago I have taken 2 at home pregnancy test and they both came back negative. . My breast has been feelong tender, cramping, totally exhausted lately. My body just doesnt feel normal. So is this all in my head or am I maybe pregnant.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

It's certainly possible that you might be pregnant and the levels of HCG in your body are not high enough yet to be picked up on a test.

911Doctor :

So here's what you should do.

911Doctor :

Until you get your period, I would take a home pregnancy test every three days, first morning urine is best

911Doctor :

AND

911Doctor :

this is very important.

911Doctor :

you need to be aware of something called ECTOPIC PREGNANCY

911Doctor :

this is a very dangerous condition

911Doctor :

and I'm not suggesting that you have an ectopic pregnancy

911Doctor :

simply that you need to know that this does happen

911Doctor :

so if you develop pain and bleeding not like your normal menstrual cycle

911Doctor :

i would not hesitiate to the hospital right away

911Doctor :

does this make sense?

Customer:

How do I know if that is what going on. I was on thr depo shot for 12 years and atopped taking it july of last year.

Customer:

Yes that does make sense

911Doctor :

just as i am saying above.

911Doctor :

early ectopic pregnancies are hard to catch even with ultrasound

911Doctor :

so I would have a very low threshold for an ER visit until this is resovled

911Doctor :

if you do go

911Doctor :

they will do a blood test

911Doctor :

and an exam

911Doctor :

and that is USUALLY diagnostic

Customer:

Ok. I have had a miscarriage when I was 17 hence why I had gotten on the depo

911Doctor :

i understand

911Doctor :

so your last unprotected sex was two weeks ago?

911Doctor :

is that right"?

Customer:

Wednesday it will make 2 weeks and my period was supposed to starr this past Thursday

911Doctor :

okay

Customer:

So is it to early to tell if I waa pregnant

911Doctor :

take a deep breath, read the information in the link on ectopic pregnancy above, especially the part about 'when to see a doctor', and do the morning prengnacy test every three days untill this is resolved.

911Doctor :

you are right on the line of when we would expect to be able to tell.

911Doctor :

stand by

Customer:

Ok

911Doctor :

the tests will be positive as soon as 7 days and as late as 20 days, so you are right in the 'indeterminate' window.

911Doctor :

so be careful, don't be anxious, just know when to go to the hospital, and that is well detailed in the link above.

911Doctor :

got it?

911Doctor :

standing by if you have further questions.

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

'For 911 dr only 'So I had heavy bleading this morning and afternoon when I went to change my i tampon there was barely any thing on it I took a test this morning and it was negative. Is this normal

This may mean that you had a miscarriage. It may mean that you simply had the beginning of your menstrual cycle. It's very hard to say from here, so at this point it might be very prudent to check with your doctor if you have one, or get seen at an urgent care or ER simply for the sake of getting your foot in the door should you have further symptoms. One thing that I would do at this point if you were my patient in the ER is that I would order a 'quantitative HCG'... a pregnancy test that, if negative, is TRULY negative, and if positive would trigger a pelvic exam and an ultrasound to rule out ectopic pregnancy. Still, with what you have told me, this is likely a miscarriage or your menses. Probably time to get checked by a provider.

Standing by if you have questions.

Positive feedback always appreciated.

Best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I have just called my women dr and waiting for them to call me back. I appreciate all of your help. Could this ruj my chances of ever having a baby

Very good question, and no. Even women with confirmed ectopic pregnancies that are caught early have no decreased ability to have children later though their risks of future ectopic pregnancies are a bit higher. The fact is that up to 20% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage and this means nothing for the ability to conceive in the future. Chances are, with your negative home pregnancy tests, that this is simply an abnormal cycle for you.

Best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And I really dont think its a miscarriage. Like I said before I had one and my stomach was burning and I was having contractions even after I passed it. It hurt bad and this is nothing like that.. I hope its just an abnormal period.

I hope so too... that is what it sounds like. Continue to keep in mind the precautions about ectopic in the article above.

Best