Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Doc, you there? Have some follow up questions

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Go ahead
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great to "see" you Doc. So the dampness in the crotch.thigh area has not yet still gone away and it feels at its worst when i am wearing looser jeans which is odd. Its damp and itchy down there but i dont visually see any evidence of a rash or tinea.

The other thing is that the tip of my penis continues to feel a little tender/raw and tingles on occasion. Not sure what is causing that.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So there is some itching without any rash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes...at least without a visible rash. Feels very inflamed, itch, scaly. Not that bad when i have shorts on or non-jeans as well

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Did you try the nonallergic powder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am going to the store tonight to get Tanactin powder which my PCP recommended. SInce we last chatted I have been on the routine of applying the econazole cream once a day, and the lotrimine powder once a day

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
In what area exactly are you using the cream? So you talked to your PCP about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

scrotum, inner thighs, below ballsack

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So basically you're using the cream on the same area that's getting moist?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes and yes my pcp did look at the area

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Where exactly is the tinea rash right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

primarily in creases of pelvis though the pcp thinks it has improved there is what looks to be a little bit of chafing below ball sach on left inner thigh also

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--did it ever occur to you that the excess moisture could be from the cream?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did not. That's a possibility?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Of course--probably just a side effect from the irritation from the cream and nothing more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so what do I do then? Also for some reason my PCP suggested I go to Tanactin powder. WHy do you thinkt hat is?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I can't second guess him but maybe he thought a powder would help with the moisture problem. If I were your doctor I'd have you stop any topical medication for now and use some hypoallergenic powder for now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok and what about this penis issue

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Did you talk to your doctor about it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did...he didnt seem to concerned about it as he asked if i had burining during urination (which i said no) and if i had been sexually active recently (i told him not in 3 years) and then he looked at penis and said it looked healthy

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--while prostatitis and urethritis can cause the symptoms you're describing, without any sex for that long then this couldn't be an STD of any kind. I would have digitally checked your prostate just to see if it were swollen or tender in case you had a non-STD prostatitis but I doubt thah's the case. Basically your description really doesn't match anything related to a medical disorder

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do you digitally check a prostate? A CT Scan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i was thinking about going to the er tonight just to have a few of these things checked...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--digital as in with your finger. If you need to go to the ER to have that done, so be it, but no way is any of this an emergency
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry i may not be following...what does it mean digital with my finger?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The doctor puts his finger up your rectum to palpate--feel--your prostate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh that's gross

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, it's standard procedure if there's anything suspected going on with the prostate like an infection but again, this isn't an emergency and since your own doctor didn't think it was indicated, I suggest you just let this part go
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hope you don't mind me asking this...but have you ever had weird issues in the genital area in your life? I just want to get perspective...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still there?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, I haven't actually.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doc, just out of curiosity, what did your 3 years comment mean?

"OK--while prostatitis and urethritis can cause the symptoms you're describing, without any sex for that long then this couldn't be an STD of any kind."

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That the common STD's that could cause these symptoms--chlamydia, trichomonas, gonorrhea--would have given these symptoms within two weeks of your contracting them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok what about the worst fear STD?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not a symptom of HIV at all but again, since you keep asking, if you'd just get the screening and get it over with, you wouldn't have to ask me again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tingling/tenderness in penis is not a symptom at all?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not for HIV, no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thx.you are 100% sure?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--100% sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok what'sconfusing me is that you would think this tenderness/tingling would cause discomfort/perhaps burning during urination but it is not...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If it's referred from the prostate it wouldn't necessarily cause burning on urination
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Doc,

Were you concerned about me? Got a call and email from JA saying so?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's just a standard message from JA--I didn't personally send it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok It was strange becuase they called my cell phone too

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that--that's just what the company does just to see if you had any follow up questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I still have the tingling, tenderness at the tip of the penis. Made an appointment with a urologist for next Thursday. Hopefully this doesnt get worse...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I still don't think it's anything serious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Call me crazy but it also feels tied to/sensation I have in my toenails
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Toenails? They have no feeling--they have no sensation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

more like when they are overgrown a tad and u walk in shoes the pressure of them going into the toe of shoe, like a mild nerve sensation

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not at all sure what you meant there--again, the toenails can't "feel"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

SO I am crazy? Haha

Ok maybe i am using wrong adjectives to describe the penis issue, i will start over and say it feel kind of "raw" and occasionally tongles. By raw I mean as if it would if someone just did surgery on it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Raw to me would be what either a sunburn or an abrasion--like when you scrape your knee would feel like. I honestly think--and I'm not saying you're crazy--that what's happening is that when you concentrate on your penis or your toenails you are actually thinking there's an unusual sensation there when really there is none
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i hope you are right Doc, I promise you though something def is off there...it may not be serious (let's hope not) but I do feel mild discomfort. There is no discharge or burning during urination which is good but at same time baffles me as to what it could be

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, let's see what the urologist says but still I don't think this is anything serious. At the same time--and you're never going to get me to let up on this--getting screened for HIV and finding out you're negative might well stop some of these "symptoms" you've been having
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Btw I switched from lotrmine powder and econazole cream to lotrimine spray yesterday and i feel a lot better with spray. Is that weird?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Feel a lot better how?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

less itching, irritation, burning and also dampness

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It could be switching from the cream--otherwise I don't have any other explanation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you have buring during urination doc, what would that feel like exactly?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Exactly like it sounds--as the urine is passing through the meatus it burns
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I don't have that and the sensation has improved somewhat today as opposed to last 2 days. We will see what the urologist says. I got moved up to meet him next Monday which is a relief. ANything specific I should ask him besides take a look at the penis and analyze urine sample?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just tell him as best you can about the feeling and, of course, you should mention your worry about HIV, just so he can reassure you that that isn't the problem
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thx Doc. What would I do without you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doc,

You have said before that you had a persistent tinea/fungis in groin area for a few months you wouldn't think it would be a big deal or freak out as much i have. Any reason behind that?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Only that some of these can be persistent and resistant to medication treatment but that doesn't mean the patient themselves has some serious medical condition causing that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the lotrimine powder spray seems to be doing a good job keeping me dry and i feel less itchy on the creases and inner thighs. What feels itchiest now is the ball sack area...though if i put on the spray in that area twice a day it too feels ok
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Good but unless you actually have the rash in a given area, you don't need to put the spray all over the place
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the thing is i cant really tell anymore where the rash is. majority of skin looks normal yet parts still itch...and the doctors keeps saying progress i.e. 80% better state, 90% state but i am for whatever reason stuck in that state and cant get to 100% which is frustrating
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I honestly at this point would have you stop the spray and leave things alone for a while, but, then, I'm not your doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There doc? wanted to follow up on he urology issues...
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--shoot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I see the Urologist tomorrow and remember what you told me to ask him besides the normal check up. A few things I wanted to report to you though.

I noticed that the "raw" or feeling that i have a "cut" on the penis comes and goes throughought the day. I actually feel it the least when i am moving around/walking and tend to feel it the most when lieing down or sitting for a while.

Also another ting i noticed is when i drink a decent amount while sitting down and stand up, that i get the tingle then. It's a feeling as if the penis constipated or maybe that it might leaking but it actually isn't.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds as though there really isn't a truly abnormal feeling there and that only when you aren't distracted do you "feel" it. While I won't say there might not be something going on--again if anything it sounds like your prostate--I really don't know of any condition that only causes that kind of feeling to vary in exactly the way you describe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...could it be a urinary infection?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Potentially yes it could be a prostate infection but let me know what the urologist thinks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do. does that have anything to do with stds?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--a prostate infection doesn't have to do with STD's and especially hot with HIV
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will report to you tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doc, I saw the Urologist. He said penis looked normal ad the glands around penis weren't swollen (I am not sure how/why that was checked?) He then had me taken a urine sample. He said color looked normal and that he was going to run tests on it to see if there is any infection...he also prescrobed ibuprofen for me to deal with discomfort near cirumcision area on penis...
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You check the nodes (glands) just to see if they're enlarged or tender, indicating an infect--just a normal part of the exam. So what did he think about your unusual feeling in the head of the penis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he thought that was very unusual...could be caused by spicy foods or alcohol or dehydration he said. Wants to see how i react to ibuprofin. and cut down on alcohol and spicy food for a little while and drink more water. He said he could also put a camera in there and i almost fainted at thought of it...
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
He didn't think prostate? And he didn't examine it with his finger?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He for some reason didn't even mention that
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So did he think it was anything other than maybe a bit of acid urine from foods and alcohol? Are you saying that he really didn't say all that much?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep not much more than what I described...baiscally said it might be inflammation from spicy foods, dehydration, or alcohol and/or a urine infection
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well I told you your description was a bit unusual and hard to "nail down." Really surprises me that a urologist didn't examine your prostate (that's basically much of what they do). I still don't think it's anything serious and I doubt the urine will show an infection but you can let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will ask the doc too why he didnt check my prostate
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--keep me in the loop