Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

for a week now i have been experiencing some unusual symtoms

for a week now i have been experiencing some unusual symtoms that i have never had before. the tip of my tongue feels as if it has been burnt and feels numb. i have 2 tiny white spots on the tip too which could be just ulcers but i do not know. i have the tiniest lump on the side of my neck for a few months now. it has been bigger before and has reduced size significantly but the fact that it has been there for a while concerns me (when i hold it between my fingers i can feel the lump under the skin). also today i have seen that on the left side of my mouth, on the top of the gum seems to be a red "spot"/"excess skin" that is sensitive when the tongue touches it. Also recently whenever i brush my teeth it starts to bleed a bit. i dont know if it is just a mouth infection that i may have or early signs of oral cancer. i was wondering what advise you could give me.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Hello, I am Dr. Bora.

You have been waiting quite sometime for an answer.

Anyway, I am here to offer you help.

The symptoms of tiny white spots on your tongue are likely due to oral fungal infection.

The gum bleeding and the sensitive skin could be due to gum disease and needs active treatment.

All your symptoms and the lump by the side of your neck which is likely likely to be an inflamed lymph node / gland point towards oral / mouth infection. You should ideally see an oro dental surgeon for this or even an ENT surgeon who would examine the lesions and prescribe you appropriate medicines.

You should not wait it out as oral fungal infections with a neck gland should be treated without delay or the infection might increase or spread into the esophagus (food pipe) , cheeks or gums.

Till you see your doctor just try to avoid using mouth rinses and quit smoking and drinking alcohol, all of which can aggravate oral fungal infection (oral thrush).

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

okay thank you for the answer. yesterday i had the last cigarette of the pack that i had and after reading this don't think im going to have anymore. The only problem with this is that i live in Spain and finding a doctor here is hard for me as im not Spanish. i have been here for a year and used to live in London,UK which was much easier.

i dont know if this is linked to the symptoms too but i have had a cough for about a week and a half now and phloem flying out when i do cough. the tip of the tongue has started bleeding yesterday night but i think that was because i cut it with a sweet i was having. so im not sure about that.

Since you cannot see a doctor right away, you can go to a local drug store and get an OTC antifungal tablet / caplet like clotrimazole or even a mouth rinse with antifungal medicines in it.

You should also take acidophillus which is a concentrate of good bacteria and will prevent further fungal infections.It is available otc as tablet or liquid.

The bleed from the tongue could be from the white spots. So, don't worry. But I would advise you to see a dentist at whenever possible.(at the earliest). You can even go the ER.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, i am going to look for those OTC tablets and all, in case i have any other question ill leave this open for now.

I can always answer you after you give me a positive rating for the multiple answers that I have already provided.
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Thanks for the accept and the bonus.