Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

Dermatology niece visited us yesterday and had

Dermatology niece visited us yesterday and had a rash on her arm. Her mother told us they were water warts and NOT contagious and not to worry about it. Well after the left I, of course, googled the heck out of it and found out that it is actually mulloscum and is HIGHLY contagious. I understand that it it considered benign and only cosmetic....however I find this psychologically distressing worrying about my 3 year old getting this. So I have a few questions:

I don't know if there was direct contact, but after they left I showered my little girl, and washed everything my niece touched with vinegar. Is there a chance my daughter may not get this?

How long does the virus live in the environment?
Does heat kill it? (putting things in the dryer?)
Does Lysol kill it?

I'm very concerned and looking for ways to hopefully get it out of my house. The rash was on her arm and she kept hugging my little girl....UGHHHHHHHH

Thank you
Welcome here and thank you for your question.
I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

What is the age of your niece?
Does your 3 year old daughter has any symptoms?
Was there any discharge from your niece's warts?

I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Niece is 5. The rash was on the inside of her elbow and it was red and irritated, but I don't think it was weepy. This was just last night so there are no signs on my daughter.

How to I sanitize my house? And is there any way to stop it if there was contact. I really washed her down last night. Thanks
Dear Joy,
Thank you for the reply.

I am working on your question & will provide you the detailed answer.This may take 20 minutes.

Thank you for the patience & waiting.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thanks!!
Dear Joy,
Thank you for staying online.

Molluscum contagiosum is a painless, whitish, firm, small button like growth that can occur on the genitalia, buttocks,arms,face and trunk.It is caused by a virus. This virus easily spreads from person to person.

The virus spreads as a result of direct skin-to-skin contact, so it typically occurs in unclothed areas. The disease can also spread from using contaminated clothing and towels.

The virus can spread through water, and people also get it by touching objects that have the virus on them, such as clothing, towels, and bedding.

The virus can live for 24 hours in damp conditions.This virus thrives in warm, humid climates and in areas where people live very close together.

Washing your daughter's clothes and any other clothes which you think your niece had touched with soap/detergent & water & then drying it in heat may kill the virus.

There is no evidence that lysol will kill the virus.But using it will be a very good idea.In addition, several chemical germicides, including chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, detergents (soap), iodophors (iodine-based antiseptics), and alcohols can also kill the virus.

Its good that you have washed her.Germ-killing hand cleaners may not kill all the virus/germs on hands, so wash hands with soap and water as soon as possible.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that if there was physical contact between them,there can be chance that your daughter might get this infection.

Disinfecting,washing clothes,using lysol,using dryers,bathing your daughter will definately help to prevent it.As you said that you washed your daughter well last night,this will be very helpful in prevention.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Hi Joy

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you used the measures described?
How is your daughter now?

Let me know,