Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

I believe that I have a bladder infection. Urination is frequent,

I believe that I have a bladder infection. Urination is frequent, every 15 to 20 minutes, and painful. I also have blood in my urine. Should I go to an emergency department or can it wait until a Medicenter opens at 9 am?

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and I will do my best to help you today.

Yes, most likely this appears to be a urinary tract infection (UTI) which can give you various symptoms such as;

Frequent urination

Pain during urination

Drowsiness and shock (if this infection spreads to other parts of body---a condition called septicemia)

And in severe cases, one can have Hematuria (blood in urine)

As per standard guidelines, every case of Hematuria should be evaluated at Earliest in detail at ER.

Undiagnosed, untreated this bleeding may get worse any time and can lead to serious complications.

Therefore, at this point, you should not wait and GO TO ER for further evaluation and management plan.

Other causes for similar symptoms also need to be investigated such as stones in the urinary tract, or a tumor (although these are much less common as compared to infections).

Drink lot of water and have someone drive you to ER.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.