Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Chantix side effects and discontinuation

My questions are about the side effects of Chantix that I have been experiencing. I'm on week two, day 6 on my Chantix. Since I've been taking it, I've noticied some fuzzy feelings in my nose/face area and extreme dizziness and light-headed-ness. Other side effects have been increased blood pressure (160/90) with an increased heart rate (88). I'm on Lunesta for insomnia anyways, but now that I have been on Chantix, I'm scared to go to bed at night for fear I wont wake up the next morning. The light-headed-ness combined with the pounding feeling in my chest has been a little unnerving for me. So, I guess my concise questions are whether there is a possibility that the side effects will subside if I were to continue the chantix and if not, I how should I discontinue the Chantix? Would I need to wean off of it or discontinue it immediately?

Submitted: 1 year ago via AskDocWeb.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : I would say that you certainly may have side effects from Chantix BUT they are harmless to you in the long run...
Anthony Bray MD : it works on the central nervous system and so feeling different or light headed is certainly feasible...
Anthony Bray MD : if you continue the medicine then these feelings will probably dissipate...
Anthony Bray MD : if you stop you may just stop-- it will not harm you to stop abruptly...
Anthony Bray MD : Your doctor probably wishes you to continue the medicine to help you stop smoking....after all smoking will cut years from your life!! That is the main point behind the treatment!!
Anthony Bray MD : Chantix even is not a miricle drug but does improve odds of quitting from about 10% per attempt to 44% per attempt!
Anthony Bray MD : The blood pressure and heart rate issues are valid as the med increases the neurotransmitter dopamine but the levels if your BP and pulse are not dangerous for the short term... Not that bad for a couple months but you want to keep average BP 135/85 or less in the long run!!
Anthony Bray MD : you worry too much if you fear the med to the point that you are afraid that it will cause you serious harm! It won't hurt you!!
Anthony Bray MD : So you may continue or stop the Chantix-- that is up to you! I hope that either way you are able to stop the smoking though !! There is where the real danger lies....
Anthony Bray MD : a telling statistic is that a nonsmokers age 60 has an 80% chance if living to age 70 but a smoker age 60 has only a 40% chance!!
Anthony Bray MD : So in the long run the smoking makes a HUGE difference to your health!!
Anthony Bray MD : Your BP being 140/90 for 2 to 3 months would not be expected to impact your life expectancy though ( now long term high BP is of course a different story) the taking of Chantix is only a short term plan....
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this information is helpful to you! Let me know if you have further questions! I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback! That would be very much appreciated!! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

Thank you so much, Dr. Bray. I appreciate your insight and you have certainly eased my mind. I was feeling a little frustrated and anxious (likely from nicotine withdrawal) and my doc wasn't really familiar with the med or its potential side effects. I just needed a little peace of mind. Well worth the money and time. I certainly appreciate it! Have a great night, sweete.

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice