Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

At the end of 2012 I developed a metallic taste in my mouth

At the end of 2012 I developed a metallic taste in my mouth and a feeling of something stuck in my throat when l swallowed (only for circa 4 days). In January the doctor advised it sounded like acid reflux and asked regarding heartburn and eating late ect. Since then the taste has gradually increased to longer periods throughout the day and is now just a bitter taste (not metallic).
Having read about reflux I have changed my eating habits (regime) and did the "not very scientific" bi-carb test which each time concluded a low acid scenario (no burp at all within advised timescale).
I Never get heartburn and have only briefly had indigestion about 3 times in the last 3 months (then only during the night - chocolate).
1 week ago I then noticed my tongue had a white coating and was slightly sensitive at the tip, and when brushing/scraping, it did not come off, neither did it bleed. There are no other marks/blisters etc, in or around my mouth.
I again did the simplistic home test of rinsing, swallowing and producing spittle in a glass of water which produced downward spiralling legs - Candida/thrush?
I also get this sudden tiredness sometimes in the daytime.
I am 61 years old, do not smoke and am not overweight.

Welcome to Just Answer.

Did you have any test by doctor?

Did he prescribe any medicine?

Did the taste vary or remaining constant?

Do you take any other medicine for any other illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, he did not examine me nor look down my throat and no medication prescribed. I'd actually gone for something else (penile ache). I've since had a urinary scan at the hospital which tested okay and have had no further problems.

The taste is constant - bitter/nasty at the back of my throat.

I take 3 types of medication for blood pressure, 10mg Ramipril, 5mg Nebivolol and 20mg Simvastatin daily.

Thank you.

Thank you Michael, for the detail information.

The metallic taste can come from different causes.

There can be sinus, polyp, throat infection or chronic pharyngitis, post nasal drip.

Heart burn, reflux is a common cause for it though you do not feel any other symptom.

Dry mouth, vitamin B12 or zinc deficiency can also cause it.

The white covering can be due to fungus.

This can grow if there is imbalance in flora.

I would suggest to get an examination by doctor again.

He can take a few tests like H pylori, scope, throat swab etc.

Meanwhile, you can try yogurt with lactobacillus.

This would help in thrush.

If you did not try acid lowering drugs, you can take ranitidine for a few days to see whether this helps.

You can also take antacid before going to sleep at night as reflux occurs more at night.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your comments.

Your mention of acid "reducing" medication may help but my understanding is that having too little stomach acid and having too much stomach acid both display similar symptoms and as a postscript I did try a brief 4 day supplement of Betaine HCL with pepsin (last day took 4 x 324mg Betaine HCL and 50mg Pepsin).

I did not get any burning or heat at all therefore may this suggest low stomach acid and should that have a different type of medication?

Could Diabetes be a possibility ?, my father has diabetes, if that is relavent.

Thank You.

You are always welcome.

Did you have tests for diabetes? thyroid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I did not have any tests for either.

Thank You.

In diabetes, thyroid disorders there can be altered sensation & taste.

In diabetes, the risk of infection or thrush is increased.

As you have a family history of diabetes, you can have those tested.

You can also have an upper GI endoscopy as the symptom is continuing for months.