Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My question is for an ENT... Can I continue to take Flonase

My question is for an ENT... Can I continue to take Flonase for rebound congestion It was discovered that I have rebound congestion from overuse of Afrin when I was diagnosed with sinusitis. At the time I was prescribed Amoxicillin, Pseudophedrine, Robitussin and Flonase. I completed all meds and this past Thursday being my last day for Flonase. I still have a half bottle left. Unfortunately, I woke up three am today (Saturday completely congested). I used Afrin to open sinuses as advised by doctor for the first and one time use so Flonase could reach sinuses. I still am severly congested. I don't think that I gave the Afrin enough time to work before administering Flonase. Will Flonase cure rebound congestion. I can not get an ENT appt until the end of June.I would like to get some sleep and not have a panic attack because I can't breathe. TX
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

The answer to your question is yes, you can use flonase, it is a steroid and works in a completely different way than afrin,flonase will not cause rebound congestion and will not cause likely be harmful

Dr Brims :

Afrin is usually only used for 2-3 days because of the potential for rebound congestion, but flonase will help with the rebound congestion

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-2kxb0dwg- :

Yes, I'm here. Thank goodness that Flonase can cure rebound congestion. How long will I have to continue with the Flonase till this rebound congestion goes away since it came back after two days. Can I use Afrin as a one time use just to open my sinuses up to be able to start the the Flonase treatment again? My nose is so completely stuffed right and mouth is so dry from breathing through it. (Yes I do drink a lot of water) I don't think that I can get the Afrin up my nose with this congestion. Saline solutions absolutely do not work for me.

Dr Brims :

It may take 1-2 weeks on the flonase to cure the rebound congestion, I would discourage using afrin to open your sinuses or it may get worse, pseudoephedrine is a better option

Dr Brims :

Are you able to see my replies?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-2kxb0dwg- :

I'm sorry, got called to the phone...I have to watch the Pseudophedrine as I have high blood pressure and wasadvised to take one 30 mg twice a day which I have done and completed my dose. It did not work for me.

Dr Brims :

Then you should give it time, everyday you use afrin is another day you will likely suffer from rebound congestion

JACUSTOMER-2kxb0dwg- :

I think I mentioned earlier that after my rebound congestion diagnosis I was able to use the Afrin one more time to get the Flonase up my nose. My doctor wasn't to thrilled either when I asked but it worked and I stopped with the Afrin (two weeks) because the Flonase worked. I just started using it this morning and one more time this evening (12 hours) so I can administer the Flonase

Dr Brims :

Then you may consider using it for the first few days to open your sinuses for flonase

JACUSTOMER-2kxb0dwg- :

I just want to use it this last time so I can sleep. When I first tried Flonase it worked within 12 hours. It's not helping now because I don't think I gave the Afrin enough time to work when I took the Flonase. All I wanted to do was breathe... How can I get the Afrin into my congested nose when I can't inhale? Should I just put drops in. I do not want to overdue the spray dosage.

Dr Brims :

Just placing a few drops should help

JACUSTOMER-2kxb0dwg- :

Thanks also should I continue with the Robitussin as well?

Dr Brims :

The robitussin is unlikely to help at this point

JACUSTOMER-2kxb0dwg- :

Oh and I purchased a new bottle too! Oh well, I'm going to unclog my sinuses and hopefully get a good night sleep. One more thing. Can I still use an OTC Saline Solution for sinus problems in conjunction with Flonase if need be?

Dr Brims :

Yes, you can still use OTC saline solutions

JACUSTOMER-2kxb0dwg- :

I forgot to ask if I should continue with the Pseudophedrine as well...

Dr Brims :

You can continue with it as long as your blood pressure is under control

JACUSTOMER-2kxb0dwg- :

It is... I'm taking verapamil (I think thats how you spell it) and my doctor said it was okay as long as I don't get jittery then i have to stop. I haven't had the jitters or nervousness so I'm good to go...Thanks for your help. .

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Brims..I'm back... I took the Afrin to open sinuses so I can use the the flonase at 5:00pm. Now I suffering with insomnia and when I' starting to doze off, I have to catch my breath. Could this be the after effect from combining both meds? Should I only take the flonase in the am?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain what you mean by you have to catch your breath?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems like my breathing stops. I just can't fall asleep. This is the first time that this happened to me since using flonase. I think that I may have over medicated

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Okay, flonase will not cause this, and afrin should not cause this either, if you have shortness of breath you should see a doctor as soon as possible or go to an ER. I think you may avoid afrin, but it still would not cause this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will avoid Afrin most denfinitely. Also, I do not have shortness of breath as we speak. It just seemed like it when I start to doze off..as if my body is not letting me fall asleep. Am I going nuts?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
It is hard to determine if your are actually short of breath, if you cannot breath through your nose it may seem like you are short of breath, I think you should try to sleep, and if you still feel short of breath tonight you should go to the hospital
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can breathe through my nose after using the Afrin and Flonase. I just want to get some sleep. Did the use of both these meds cause my sleepness?. I did not have this problem when I used only the Flonase. I used on spray in the am and one in the pm...

I apologize if my questions are weird...

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
The use of afrin may have caused this,I think you should avoid it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought so..Did I already ask if Flonase causes sleeplessness also?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Flonase does not cause sleeplessness
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to ask if it causes anxiety. I also read that it can cause vision problems. Are these accurate statements.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
It does not cause anxiety nor vision problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank goodness... Once again you gave me comfort with your responses. I do not like taking any kind of scripts. You encouraged me to re-new my membership.. Thanks again Dr, Brims. You've been very kind and helpful. Now I will try to get some sleep since I've been up since 3:00am Saturday morning and now it's Sunday...geez... Good night...

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you still? Don't I have to rate you for your help again?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome, sorry I didn't see your reply last night, if you need my help again please feel free to ask anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Brim....Well, I took the flonase this morning around five a.m as my one nostril was open, I put two drops of Afrin into the congested nostril with just a bit of relief so I can use the Flonase. I've started up again with the pseudophedrine too.. As of now, I am completed congested. I've tried the saline solution several times but to no avail. I am really trying to avoid using the regular dosage of Afrin prior to the Flonase use. I've been blowing my nose at times because my sinuses open a tad then shut right up. Can I use just use Flonase minus the Afrin even though I'm severely congested? I don't want to use it at five in the evening because I won't be able to sleep. Please help...Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can use flonase without the afrin even if you are congested, that would be best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since I can't inhale won't the Flonase just run out and defeat the purpose? I thought that you had to have clear nasal passages to spray the Flonase (Afrin use)because it would just hang in the mucous and therefore be useless.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
it won't defeat the purpose, if it hangs in the mucus it will still stay within the nasal cavity and decrease inflammation and swelling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My next dose of Flonase is at 5:00 pm ( one spray in each nostril) In the event the Flonase doesn't work can I use a spritz of Afrin afterwords?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
As I said earlier, if you keep using afrin you will continue to have symptoms, so I don't advise you use it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay....I will only use the Flonase along with the Pseudephedrine. I know that I must inhale gently so that solution doesn't trickle down throat. It will be very difficult to do because of the severity of congestion and I probably have to inhale deeply which is not good.....

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is best, XXXXX XXXXX head forward when you inhale
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actually Dr. Brims: I just blew my nose (slight green tinged mucous) and am able to inhale. I don't have the blocked up feeling. I'm still unable to breathe regularly and still continue to breathe through my mouth. I'm assuming that the Flonase is finally starting to take effect. and the rebound congestion is trying to clear up.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
That is good, I hope it continues to improve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more thing well actually two. Is the Flonase to work like Afrin but it just takes longer to take effect and why do I need to tilt my head forward when I inhale. I wasn't told to this when I originally started out with the Flonase.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Flonase does not work like afrin , afrin works quickly and flonase takes more time, afrin has a different mechanism of action than flonase. Tilting your head forward helps the flonase enter your sinuses and helps prevent it from dripping into your throat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see.....Should I take my dosage of Flonase now rather than the five pm time.so it can take effect. I just want to make sure that I'll be able to breath through my nose and sleep tonite. I've been up for the past 36 hours...

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can take it now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do....I hope that I''ll be able to breathe clearly by the time I go to sleep... If I don't I'll be back on line asking you about taking the Afrin again (hopefully not because I'll finally will get some sleep and I do know what your response will be).

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I hope you feel better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forgot one small detail (just kidding, it's not small) Can I use two sprays up each nostril instead of one. I already had one spritz this morning. I'm to use one spritz in the am then one in the pm but I thought that I might be able to use two for the evening.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you may use 2 instead of 1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX thank you and shall I keep this dosage up until the rebound clears up. (once in the morning and twice in the evening)

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
You're quite welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You didn't reply to the part about me keeping on taking Flonase one spritz in the morning and two in the evening until the rebound congestion clears.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you may keep that dosage up until the rebound clears
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Once again thank you, XXXXX XXXXX thank you. It's been a real pleasure conversing with you. So sorry for all the questions. I think I've covered all my bases...It's Flonase time!

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
You're quite welcome, I am happy I could help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's me again....I've just taken two spritz's of Flonase up each nostril which is 200 mg. As mentioned, I also did one spritz up each nostril this morning. 100mgs. Aren't I in danger of overdosing. Nice to think about it after I took my evening dosage. I know you said that I could do this but I'm a little concerned. The articles I've read state not to take more than 200 mgs a day. I've taken 300 for the day. Should I be concerned because I'm a little scared now. Am I overreacting?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
You do not need to be scared, it will not have any lasting negative side effects
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any lasting negative side effects? Does this mean I will have some type of side effect then......

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
No, it should not have any side effects
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know I sound paranoid. Because of the rebound congestion, should I continue with the 300 mcgs tomorrow. By the way, I'm completely blocked up again. Tried Saline again..no luck....this feeling really sucks...

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
You can try the same 300mcg tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK... I trust you afterall, you are the expert. I shouldn't of questioned you. Sorry...

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Shouldn't I get some relief within the next couple of hours. If not what else can do to relieve this horrid congestion..(I know, no Afrin)

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
All you can do is wait , use flonase and pseudoephadrine, it will improve within a few days. If you want my help, you may start a new question with "Dr Brims" and I will answer you, if you want to continue in this post, please rate some of the previous answers that you found helpful
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just did rate an answer however Just Answer is not accepting my card. I have to get in touch with them to find out the problem... Also I can't afford to rate each answer as excellent because I must pay each time..So sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I don't expect you to rate each answer
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm currently on the phone with Customer Service and they are investigating the matter.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Okay, no problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Issue was resolved and payment has been credited over the phone as there was a problem with my account online. Customer Service has taken care of payment. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm back....it is day three since we spoke and my treatment for the rebound congestion is not going well. Last evening prior to instilling Flonase, I had to use a few drops of Afrin so I could breathe, then blew my nose and used a saline solution. I was able to instill my morning dose of Flonase (5:00 am without Afrin) and as of now I'm totally congested again . Does flonase contribute to the rebound? I've been using it since Saturday and still no results. I can deal with the congestion during the day without the use of Afrin. Am fighting a losing battle? Also, have you heard of the "weaning off of Afrin " process and does it work?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
I have heard of weaning off of afrin, I don't think it is necessary in your case, flonase does not contribute to the rebound, it should improve your symptoms, you need to be patient
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You did mention earlier that it would take 1-2 weeks..I just want this to end. Can I still go ahead and follow the procedure I did this morning with the Afrin, and saline solution prior to the Flonase use, to open my sinuses for tonight's dosage? I'm not using the Afrin with a full spray, just a few drops.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
I don't recommend you continue afrin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm completely stopped up like a brick wall; totally unable to blow nose or try to breath in. I've been like this since around 9:30 this morning and I dosed at 5:00am (I should've used a full spray of the Afrin instead of two drops I thought I was being careful with only drops) Will the Flonase actually be able to penetrate my "squeezing" sinuses?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Do you have anxiety disorder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did have a full blown anxiety attack in 2010 which was induced by the over indulgence of alcohol and smoking (since stopped) which warranted a visit to the ER. I panic when I can't breathe. Don't you think that's logical reaction? I'm not comfortable breathing through my mouth due to suffering drymouth. Why do you ask?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
I asked because you repeat several of the questions you have asked previously, which is usually a sign of anxiety disorder. Flonase should eventually penetrate your sinuses, you need to give it time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I realized that after I sent the reply. I thought to myself "How stupid, you already asked that, duh.". I guess if the Flonase doesn't work within the given time span, I'll have to go to the ENT which I have to wait for a month.and a half...damn Afrin! Thanks. Sorry for the double questions..I didn't want to make a mountain out of a molehill. People go through the same thing everyday and probably are just as freaked out about it as I am..

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
No problem, you're quite welcome
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician