Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

hello

hello
Greetings.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Were you exposed to unsafe sex?

Thanks for your question.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had unprotected sex July 2011, and unprotected oral sex in Oct 2012. The symptoms started around 15th March 2013 whereby I had a tingling in the tip of my penis that lasted 2-3 days, i went to see a Doctor who had a look and suspected it was a fungal infection and put me on Terbinafine for 2 weeks. Within days the tingling went. All good until about 23rd April when I started experiencing burning in my urethral tract and urinating very frequently (15 x days) with an uncontrolled dribble at the end. The burning only occurs after urinating and not during and a cold sensation in my scrotum. No discharge or any other symptoms. My wife has had Thrush about 3 times this year but clears up very quickly using Canestan.

I thought I may have Chlamydia so my wife and I both took 1g of Azithromycin on the 28th April. Only a slight improvement and within 3 days my wife got thrush outbreak which cleared up with Canestan. I went to see the Doctor again on the 29th April and he suspected very mild dose of Chlamydia since no discharge. He prescribed 100mg Doxycyline for 7 days and Terbinafine again. Ive just completed the course of Doxy, but there is no improvement and still have a burning sensation after urinating (not during).

On the 29th April, they tested for HIV, Hep, Syphilis and took a urine sample for 3 day culture growth and urine analysis for UTI. All came back Neg. The Doc also checked my prostate which was ok. The Doc still seems to think it is Chlamydia. My wife has not been tested yet but we are not having sex.

Really puzzled and can't seem to get to the bottom of what it is. I have another 1g of Azithromycon and 500g of Cipro and not sure if to take.

In your opinion is this an STD or something else?

Many thanks and look forward to hearing you professional view.

Kind Regards

Mark

Hello and welcome, Mark.

Was a diagnosis of prostatitis or prostatic massage done?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Doctor checked my prostate by inserting his finger in my rectum and said 'that appears to be fine'. That was the only check he carried out.

Regards, Mark.

Mark,

Your symptoms are quite suggestive of low grade prostatitis (prostate infection), which has lingering symptoms with exacerbations and remissions. Prostate has low blood supply so a short course of antibiotics are not effective. The diagnosis of prostatitis is done by a prostate massage. The doctor put the finger in the rectum and massages the prostate for about 2 to 3 minutes. This causes expulsion of the discharge from the urethra. This discharge is sent for the culture test which is most sensitive to diagnose the causative organisms. This culture test also tells about the best antibiotic which can eradicate the infection completely and thus there is no recurrence.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will go back to the Doctors. Could this still be an STD?

This is not likely to be STD. Usually this is general bacterial infection.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please feel free for your follow up queries.

Please click excellent / good, if this interaction has been helpful and satisfactory. Only a positive rating gives us credit for the work and expertize. You can ask follow up questions, even after rating.