Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Ive had a constant side ache on my right side for 5 days now.

I've had a constant side ache on my right side for 5 days now. frequent bowel movements and very nauseated. Now I am throwing up large amounts of salty white foam. Should I be concerned enough for a visit to the ER?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Customer:

Hello

Dr. Saha :

How many times do you have bowel movements?

Dr. Saha :

Are they watery?

Customer:

frequently just this morning about 6 times. I feel like I need to go then only a little comes out. Yes they are watery

Dr. Saha :

How many times did you vomit?

Customer:

I vomitted 3 times in about 15 minutes. all white foam that was very salty in taste

Dr. Saha :

Is there any blood in stool? How is your urine output?

Customer:

no blood. normal urine output. gone about 4 times today

Customer:

I do not have a gallbladder so I know it's not related to this

Dr. Saha :

Are you taking any medicine?

Customer:

no

Dr. Saha :

From the description of symptoms it appears that you are having an intestinal infection.

Dr. Saha :

Commonly it is either bacterial or viral.

Dr. Saha :

Viral diarrhea which is commoner usually gets better by 3-5 days.

Dr. Saha :

When it is getting worse, you need to get an examination by doctor.

Customer:

the side ache is my main concern since whenever i am in pain my bowel habits change

Dr. Saha :

In infection there can be cramps in abdomen.

Dr. Saha :

This can precede the passage of stool.

Dr. Saha :

If you can not keep any thing by mouth, you would get dehydrated.

Dr. Saha :
I noticed you put a poor service rating.

Do you need any more clarification?

I want you to be satisfied.
Dr. Saha :

Please feel free to ask, if you have any further query.

Customer:

A small history is I had a hernia removed in october that was pressing on my bowels, I am experiencing similar symptoms. I am having A LOT of anxiety from this and have no insurance. I feel agitated, and this side pain is radiating into my hip, and back. I have no fever but after 5 days now vomiting foam I am just not sure what to do.

Dr. Saha :

Where did you have the hernia exactly?

Customer:

3 inches bleow my belly button and 2 inches above c-section scar

Dr. Saha :

Did you have intestinal obstruction then?

Customer:

the beginnings of an obstruction is what he said. the intestine was only open 2/3 of normal

Dr. Saha :

Side pain that is radiating to hip & back can come from a colic or spasm of intestine.

Dr. Saha :

Sometimes, urinary colic can also be felt in this way.

Dr. Saha :

But your urine was normal.

Customer:

it was normal, however last month i was treated for a UTI and kdney infection

Dr. Saha :

And as you are having loose stool, it is unlikely to be an intestinal obstruction.

Dr. Saha :

The symptoms are more like an intestinal inflammation or infection.

Dr. Saha :

You can take oral rehydration solution, gatorade.

Dr. Saha :

Please try it in small frequent sips so that you can tolerate it.

Customer:

i was called in Levaquin to treat what they thought was a lingering UTI I haven't taken it yet because i didn't think their diagnosis would help. is this something that can treat bacterial intestine problems?

Dr. Saha :

First you need to have a stool test. Then it can be decided which medicine would be effective.

Customer:

thank you. This helps me decide which doctor to see.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience