Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi ,i am a 27 year old male, 5 weeks ago i got a headache in

Customer Question

Hi ,i am a 27 year old male, 5 weeks ago i got a headache in the centre of my forehead above my brow bone ,This headache is away when i wake up in the morning for about 30 mins then it starts building up again till late afternoon where the pain is dull and constant with the occasional throbs, the pain doesnt hurt to cough or change direction or bend over .It is mainly above my right eye although it moves about to behind my eyes above both eyes along my cheek bones and radiates through to the back of my head where it joins the neck,over the last week i am struggling to hear some things as it feels like my ears are full and like they have popped like you get on an aeroplane flight and this is accompanied by light headedness,my doctor suggetsed rhinitis and gave me cetrizine once daily and beconase nasal spray daily which hasnt helped ,the funny thing is i have never suffered from allergies although about 5 years ago i had horrendous sinusitis to the point it was an orange rust colour coming from my nose .I have no runny nose just one side of my nose is blocked every morning which clears,the feeling is just like a tight band wrapped round my face and my ears are pumped up and in the last day my neck glands on my right side are swollen slightly. i can breather clearly as we speak through each nostril,i generally just feel like my head has been pumped up and cannot stop worrying about this as its a 6 week pressure feeling around my face and neck and now radiating trough to the back of my head ,the heache is never severe just constant and the odd throb ,i am worried sick as i have 2 young children and never really have headaches other than after alcohol or the odd migraine . the only other symptoms i have are increased sensitivity to light and stingy eyes,just pressure all over my head .
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--any drainage from your nose and any neck pain or stiffness?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have no neck pain or any nasal running, just head pressure like a band round my forehead although the pain does move about my face but the headache has been persistent for 6 weeks, although not very sore just a dull pressure with odd more painful pulses or throbs , my face is not tender to touch
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK This doesn't sound at all like allergic rhinitis which is what the nasal spray would be for. Either you have a chronic sinus infection or you may be having tension headaches from spasm of your neck muscles. I'd get an MRI of your sinuses and your cervical spine to look for the sinusitis and a possible disk problem in your neck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My obvious worry is that I have a brain tumor, I have been worried sick as they just came out the blue and have persisted with no let up the exact same headache and face ache with pressure in ears which is making me dizzy for weeks , could this last this long and be something else I hope so ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I think the chronic sinusitis is the most likely culprit here and not a brain tumor, but the MRI of the brain, sinuses and cervical spine would cover that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's seems to never shift from above my brow line and just today I get pain in my neck glands ears and back of my head , is it possible to have chronic sinusitis with no nasal discharge and my face is painless to touch but alot of pressure in all sinus areas , but I have a clear nose otherwise ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--very possible, especially if the nasal turbinates are clogged so the pus just stays in the sinus cavity. The gland and ear pain also goes along with a sinus infection and not a brain tumor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every now and then I hear a crack like above my nose like air if that makes sense? , what would be my suggested treatment for this as it has been 6 weeks , does this have anything to do with my light sensitivity or stingy eyes ? , no matter what side I sleep on it is the same nostril blocked every day and sometimes doesn't unblock , I still have a massive appetite and strangely this pain is unoticable if I am active until I stop , my head all in all just feels so heavy it would be easier to fall back and like someone's pumped it up and it's trying to get out my cheeks forehead ears glands back of head but no runny nose or sore to touch
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the cracking could be from an air/fluid level in the sinus itself. You need antibiotics for this and if those don't clear it you'd need to be evaluated by an ear, nose, and throat specialist to see if there's a blocked turbinate that needs to be surgically opened. Stingy eyes and light sensitivity can also go along with a sinus infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor looked up my nose and said that's ok although I didn't get what he was looking for , when I say I have one blocked nose there is no mucus when I blow hard is this this turbinate u speak of swollen and blocked my sinus ? , I appreciate your answers and they make me feel better I just want this headache to go away because pain killers just don't do it sometimes , it's more nagging and makes me depressed and stressed than a sore pain , and basically the back left and right of my head aswell
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand your concern here, but really this doesn't sound at all as anything more serious than a sinus infection. Just looking up the nose with an otoscope won't look at the turbinates and the inside can look absolutely normal. As I said before, the fluid could all be blocked in the sinus cavity and you wouldn't get anything out by blowing your nose. Get back to the doctor, tell him what I've said, and get the MRI and some antibiotics and you'll be fine
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate all answers , one last question , would all sinuses be blocked , although the main pain is the right side ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It could just be the frontal sinus on the right side. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi just thought i would update you, i have since been back and been changed from beconase to fluxonase and a weeks worth of amoxicillin ,after the week of amoxi i started to feel slightly better although my pressure and pain has returned and i have a swollen lymph node now on just my right side
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Where exactly is the node?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to describe it exactly if i lift my chin up and place my index finger and thumb either side of my throat and rest my chin on my hand its directly where my index finger touches directly under the end of my jaw
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Is it sore/tender and do you have any sore throat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my sore throat has gone it was very sore to swallow and grainy the last week but away now ,the node its self is not sore although just feels achy along my jaw and generally in that area
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--the node is probably just from the throat infection and it should go down in time but if you're still having the other symptoms you may need a second course of antibiotics and this time I'd prescribe Cipro or Septra DS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would these be available to me in the uk i seen a different doctor and explained what you said and he agreed and said he thinks it is chronic /acute sinusitis, when he gave me amoxicillin i felt slightly better but when i stopped the weeks course the head pressure has returned with odd pain pulse and the odd sharp pain and then it disperses after a few seconds or so like pressure deflating ,i have noticed over the last few days increased dizziness and just feel generally out of it sometimes light headed ,and the stinging eyes and light sesitivity remain .i just keep having it in my head that the pressre is from something in my brain expanding i do worry alot
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, this isn't a brain tumor or an aneurysm and yes both of those are available in the UK. Quite frankly, I would have given you one of those at the start and not the amoxicillin because it isn't very effective for sinus infections
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thankyou for your assurances would i be experiencing different things?,i am just scared that my doctor tells me to allow it time as they have both said unfortunately it takes time and i also dont want to seem like i am trying to tell them what to give me ,also they gave me last time round 600mg ibuprofen but this doesnt touch it,anytime i put these symptoms into google it top of the list is tumors and lymphoma its depressing ,i really thought i was on the mend last week after starting the amoxi and my recovery tailed off
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Don't Google your symptoms--it'll scare the bejeesus out of you. Just get rechecked and ask about a different antibiotic. Since the amoxicillin did help a bit you shouldn't worry because it would have had no effect on a tumor or on lymphomaa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just keep trying to rationalise how a sinus infection with no nasal congestion can feel like a tight belt round my forehead and pain round to the back of my head where it sticks out above the top of neck for 7 weeks solid with no change ? Appreciate your help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If the sinus is totally blocked there will be no nasal discharge. I personally would get a ct of your sinuses to document that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The strange thing is when I'm occupied the pressure or pain is less noticeable if I am engaged in convo or if i am playing sport , the reason I worry a lot if because the pain isn't localised and moves around my foreahead and to the back of my head , I don't know if its the nasal spray or antibiotics but I noticed in the last week I would blow my nose and nothing would appear to come out but if I blew extremely hard this massive lump of clot tally clear slime would come out but totally clear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sticks in my mind when I seem my doctor that he said he was reluctant to give me antibiotics because they aren't proven to be effective ? , he said only a small amount of infections are bacteria related and most viruses which don't respond to antibiotics , I found that odd
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Most sinus infections do clear in a week without antibiotics but in your case I think they were appropriate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was at my doctor again yesterday and I have a further 2 weeks of amoxil and 2 weeks course of pseudo ephedrine , along with a new flixonase spray , also he asked me about stress and getting a new pillow for supporting my neck etc ??? He also said that the brain is not directly connected with the scalp so like pain wen I rest my head on back of my scalp and forehead won't be from brain pain ?? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No that isn't brain pain but you may also be having what are called tension headaches--caused by spasm of the neck muscles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Normally it went away durin the night but last few nights its just been nagging and when I wake up my necks right and sore , and today it's the base of the neck that's a little tight and achey but not stiff , today it's mainly in the back of my scalp, hope everyday this goes away and this one swollen node I can't explain mentioned it to doctor n he didn't seem concerned about it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You still shouldn't be worried about a brain tumor. If the neck pain continues, ask your doctor for an MRI of the cervical spine to look for a disk problem and also for a ct scan of your sinuses just to cover all the bases. Listen--this page is getting long and old so it's time to close it with a rating and then if you need to talk to me some more you can open a new question page asking for me
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help much appreciated .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure--any time