Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I have been smoking a pipe for over 50 years and am now 75

I have been smoking a pipe for over 50 years and am now 75 years old. I am considering trying the new "E" type tobacco to help me to stop completely. I understand I can purchase an electronic substitute pipe to use for this. What is your opinion on this matter?
Many thanks,Graham Lambden

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : Well I am not really familiar with the "E" type tobacco that you mention. I would presume that this must be a low nicotine product if it is promoted to help with smoking cessation. Toward that end I say FINE! You may try to stop using this or other techniques to stop. The main thing for you is to stop!!
Anthony Bray MD : You are fortunate to be age 75 as a smoker already! For a person age 60 smokers have a 40% chance of surviving to age 70 while this is 80% for nonsmokers.
Anthony Bray MD : This marked difference in survival continues as long as you continue to smoke so it is the single most powerful step that you can take to protect your health to stop smoking . The method you use is any that works for you!!
Anthony Bray MD : I recommend Chantix to help with smoking cessation. This prescription med helps to improve your odds on any given attempt... Still even with Chantix the success rate is 44% per attempt. By contrast cold turkey has a success rate if about 10% per attempt....Wellbutrin helps as another option with about 30% success per attempt.
Anthony Bray MD : with any if the methods you may need to resolve to try again SOON if a given attempt is not successful. It is a difficult habit to break but it is important for your health!!
Anthony Bray MD : Smoking doubles your relative risk rate for heart attack and stroke as well of course the risk of gradually progressive lung disease of COPD.
Anthony Bray MD : So whatever method you choose does not matter so much as that you do STOP and stay STOPPED!!!
Anthony Bray MD : nicotine substitutes are another aid and may be used if you desire...
Anthony Bray MD : if you ask me what is the best method then I would have to vote for Chantix as this is statistically the most effective...
Anthony Bray MD : Even with the best method and statistics it is likely to take you three attempts ( or more) to successfully quit!!
Anthony Bray MD : i hope this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Thank you for your question:

The safety and benefits of E-cigarettes (or E-pipes) is still a matter of much discussion and research.

Personally I do not promote use of these products since we still do not have good proof that they are safe, however, overall, the evidence does seem to suggest that these products MAY be safer than smoking. Here is one such study.

I hope that this information has been helpful.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years