Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

I have a large cyst above my left radial artery. Everytime

I have a large cyst above my left radial artery. Everytime I take my bp in my left wrist it is generally 15 points different on the low side. For instance I just took my bp and in my left it was 96 over 51 and my right it was 116 over 64. Would this large growth effect the reading in my left arm? Also a arm bp cuff usually reads higher on my left arm and is much closer in number to my right.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and I will do my best to help you today.

Some degree of difference in blood pressure noted from both arms is normal. There have been many studies conducted to determine how much difference in the readings should be considered normal or abnormal.

In general, if the blood pressure measurements vary more than 10mmHg (or simply 10 points) then definitely this is NOT NORMAL.

This can be due to the cyst.

But there are other causes as well such as peripheral arterial disease, vasculitis, cholesterol build up in the arteries etc.

You should have this reported to your doctor, and have a comprehensive clinical examination done. This must include BP check up in both arms by the doctor not only at wrists, but also at elbows.

If deemed necessary he can proceed with further tests like Doppler Scan of the arteries to determine any problem in them.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties