Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

4.5 by 5 cm tumour grade 2 deep in front left lobe how do they

Customer Question

4.5 by 5 cm tumour grade 2 deep in front left lobe how do they determine grade if they can not do a biopsy a they just want remove and what makes it a grade 2
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. R. Bora :

Is this an MRI report?

Dr. R. Bora :

Have they given any name to the tumor?

Dr. R. Bora :

Please enter the chat format.

Dr. R. Bora :

Use reply button.

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello?

Dr. R. Bora :

If you are unable to us this format , I will switch over to the Q and A format.

Customer:

No name he has had a MRI and 2 cat scans he has a MR Wong as his consultant and they have orded another MRI but different type to see if or what is is effecting

Customer:

All they have said is that it is grade 2 tumour and it is about the size and shape of o tennis ball cut in half and slightly squeezed

Customer:

how do I enter chat format

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
If this is an MRI or Ct scan report of the brain, the grading is based on characteristics revealed by using contrast media during the test. The contrast media used helps to determine the degree of penetration of the tumor blood vessels (angiogenesis) into the surrounding tissues and thus grade it systemically. There are also other criteria like tumor necrosis, tumor invasion that helps to grade a tumor in MRI and CT scan reports without doing biopsy. Although MRI reports are usually good enough for grading, the exact / final grading should be substantiated by doing a biopsy .

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Yeah, I have provided you the answer already. Here it is again:

The grading on an MRI report is based on characteristics revealed by using contrast media during the test. The contrast media used helps to determine the degree of penetration of the tumor blood vessels (angiogenesis) into the surrounding tissues and thus grade it systemically. There are also other criteria like tumor necrosis, tumor invasion that helps to grade a tumor in MRI and CT scan reports without doing biopsy. Although MRI reports are usually good enough for grading, the exact / final grading should be substantiated by doing a biopsy .

I hope my answer has helped you.

Hello Julie, I have left the chat format earlier, please enter the Question and Answer format.
Hello Julie,

How have you been doing?

I have provided an answer to your question. If you
still need further assistance, please post me your question here.

Thanks,
Dr. Bora.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I did not get back to you they are now saying after they remove most of the tumor that it is a grade 2 Astrocytoma and he goes back for more information on the 10th July what is the treatment for this type of tumor and what is the expected out come

Thanks for coming back to me after such a long time.

Now, Grade 2 astrocytoma is a low grade brain tumor.Surgery is the most important treatment for most low grade astrocytomas. Your surgeon will remove all or as much of the tumour as possible - this is known as debulking. Any remaining tumour may then be treated with radiotherapy and possibly chemotherapy. Or your doctor may suggest keeping these treatments in reserve so you can have them if the tumour starts to grow again and causes symptoms. So, the expected outcome is good if most of the tumor was removed by surgery.