Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Bruise fading during death

I noticed that whilst my husband lay in the mortuary his right ear was completely black with bruising. Since then he has been moved to the funeral company. A few days later when I went to see him there the black bruising on his ear had partially faded and was retuning to its natural colour. I looked with disbelief. Can a thing where  bruising on a dead body can start  returning to its  natural colour ?.

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am theModerator for this topic. I have sent your question to a Professional with a lot of knowledge about post mortum situations. He is not online at the moment, but when he comes back on he will see my note and will be able to assist you. Thank you for your continued patience:-)

Camille - Mod

Yes this can happen due to changes in the body after death.

After death, once the heart stops bleeding, the blood becomes fluid and flows down to the dependent parts of the body.

The black bruising in the ear would have been before death. This would be caused by black dead blood in the ear region.

But after death, the blood becomes fluid and flows out from the capillaries and into the bigger veins in the dependant parts of the body. This is a process called Lividity.

So after death, this is what would have happened. The blood would have drained out from the ear and settled in the back region. Lividity is a normal process of change after death.

Take care - hope this advise helps you.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.