Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

A few months ago I noticed a small raised bump on my thumb

A few months ago I noticed a small raised bump on my thumb knuckle. It is hard and round and under the skin. The last few weeks, it seems to have grown in sizes about a pea size. You can see it sticking up. Not really much change in color of the skin, maybe a little reddish tone.
Hi--any tenderness or problem with flexing the thumb?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesn't hurt and I can still flex the thumb

OK--just one other question--any problem with any other joints--pain, stiffness, etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had a history of autoimmune activity. Diagnosis was Fibromyalgia, possibly a mild form of lupus. I don't take any medications. I am very stiff in hip and back area but I think it's coming from muscles. My tests for rheumatoid arthritis were normal. At times I have had a little stiffness in my thumbs.

OK--just wanted to check because rheumatoid arthritis can cause nodules in the hands. But this sounds like a gangion cyst--a cyst that is connected to a joint. At time these resolve on their own but sometimes they need to be either drained or surgically excised. Have your doctor take a look and get an MRI of the thumb to make the diagnosis.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I decide to wait and not go to the doctor, can it lead to something serious. I have to pay for my office visits.

No, nothing serious but it can get large enough that it starts restricting your thumb movement