Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I keep seeing studies that say virtually everyone who loses

I keep seeing studies that say virtually everyone who loses weight gains it back. I lost 38 lbs. (from 168 to 125 and I'm 5'3") by counting calories and exercising. Now I'm scared that there's no possible way I can keep it off. (I realize it's still good to exercise and eat healthy, but I really do not want to gain this weight back.) I have had trouble continuing to exercise and count calories due to uproar in my life but I'm going to try to go back to it. Or am I wasting my time and it's impossible for me to stay at 125?

Do you have associated stress and anxiety issues?

Mood swings?

Any medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have chronic depression, and stress and anxiety issues. No mood swings as such, no serious physical medical problems. (I was on thyroid medication at one point for mild hypothyroid but now I'm off it and my thyroid blood tests are normal again.) I am taking Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Zyprexa for the depression.

Thanks for providing more information.

I understand your concern over regaining weight.

Firstly i appreciate your efforts for losing weight and now you have normal weight.

Usually a reasonable initial weight loss goal is to lose about 10% of your current body weight.

A weight loss of more than 2 pounds per week is not good due to what is called Yoyo effect.

It is the cycle of losing and regaining weight. This happens when a person tries to reduce a significant amount of weight in a short period of time through rigid dieting and then suddenly discontinues dieting because of boredom or sheer hunger.

When this happens, the person gains weight but this time becomes even heavier than before dieting started.

Now in your case,as you have lost weight,so in my opinion,you should take some modifications in your diet and lifestyle which you can do for long period of time like

Do regular yoga,aerobic exercise-walking, cycling or swimming, deep breathing for 30-45 minutes five times a week rather than vigorous exercise.

Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

Increase Fibre in diet.
Take six small meals rather than large meals.

Drink Plenty of water(10- 15 glasses per day).

If you feel some boredom and cravings for your favourite foods then you can relax yourself with low pace activities like walking,completing your daily chores,etc and eat your favourite foods in small amount 2 times a week.

You can limit your calories intake as much as possible.

For further reading-

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-weight-pyramid/SA00103

Avoid caffeine,alcohol.

It is advised to recheck your Thyroid function test every 3 months as it can be a contributing factor in regaining weight.

I suggest you to consult a dietitian for further management.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.