Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Can ulcers cause back paim

Customer Question

Can ulcers cause back paim
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Yes, ulcers can cause back pain if they are in the duodenum, they commonly cause this type of pain

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Can you see my replies in the chat session?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i wait for dr bray
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can, in the future , if you would like a particular expert, please include the name of the expert in the body of your question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

Yes ulcers can cause referred pain to the back. This is not that terribly common for this problem but it does occur. Pain radiating to the back is more common with certain other issues such as Pancreatitis. Your history over all does seem more consistent with ulcer disease , I think.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you !
Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What causes lymphocytes and high neutrophils? Also what does it mean if RDW-CV is constantly elevated
Hello again!!

The RDW means red cell distribution width.This may be high with factors that disrupt the body's production of red cells, this may be nutritional in nature and would commonly be iron, B12 or folate.

The neutrophils are high due to bacterial infection.

Lymphocytes are usually high due to viral infections.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions! I hope that you are feeling better today.
Best Regards,

Antony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what does that mean for me? I dont feel like i have an infection
Hello again,

There are other factors which may cause rise in your white cell counts. Stress may cause demargination or more cells go from the sides of blood vessels into the blood circulation.

The main issue facing you would seem to be the stabilizing of your stomach and correction if the dehydration.

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 1.5 hrs ago i started to get low abdominal pain and am flushed
Hello again,

What is the nature of the pain?? --- sharp, dull, burning, tearing, stabbing or other?? How intense is the pain on scale if one to ten with 6 being unable to sleep through it? Do they come and go? Could they be due to spasms of the intestines or colon do you think? Do you have any diarrhea?

Any UTI symptoms?

Any vaginal discharge?

Any fever now ?

Does anything in particular make the pain worse?? Position changes for example?

Let me know these details and I will get back with you!?

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its kinda burny. Its probably a 5 or 6. I was actually bent over because it hurt so bad but it made it feel better No diarrhea no UTI symptoms No discharge, no fever
Hello again,

I would keep watch on how this symptom develops with time. Worsening pain or other concerning symptoms and seek further evaluation if these occur.

A possible clue may be in your sense of relief with bending over. PID ( pelvic inflammatory disease) may do this. This infection of the uterus/ Fallopian tubes general causes pain to straighten the body ... This alone is not enough to diagnose you with this condition however... I would just be aware of this as one possibly

The more severe the pain and if not clearing in short term then you would need further evaluation by your doctor on this.... Your recent fever increases my concern of a more serious process being possible such as PID , appendicitis or other....

I hope that this helps you! Let me know if you have further concerns and questions! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It fricken hurts
Hello again,

If this pain is severe then go ahead and have this checked further !! Go to ER if you need to! The combination of lower abdominal pain plus the high white count is very concerning! This could be a serious problem such as PID or appendicitis as examples. Don't hesitate to get the help that you need.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But my acutal WBC number was normal
Hello again,

OK, I see.... Well that is reassuring. Still concerned with the abdominal pain-- do you feel bloated?? Could you have problem with constipation ?? How are you doing with the nausea and vomiting today?? How severe 1 to 10 is the pain ( ten being chained and dragged behind 18 wheeler...)

Anything that aggravates the pain that you have noticed?? Does the pain wax and wane??

Let me know and I will get back with you---

Take care, Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont really feel bloated. I dont have a problem with constipation. Havent vomited today. The nausea was gone until this started. Pain is like a 6. Nothing makes it worse. Its not really waxing and waning. It increased since it started
Hello again ,

Well if the pain should be very severe then you would need to be checked at the ER . Moderate severe pain may wait and you could see doctor tomorrow. The best case of course is that the pain resolves on its own without need for further evaluation or intervention.

One possible cause of a benign type scenario could be a ruptured follicular cyst. These come and go with the menstrual cycle.usually they are not painful but they can on occasion produce pain. They produce some bleeding into the pelvic cavity and this can produce irritation and pain... I can't diagnose you but only list this as one of many possible causes.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion. I will be happy to get back with you.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you do if you were me
Hello again,

If the pain was so severe that I could not sleep through it then I would bite the bullet and go to the ER. This would be the quickest access to the tests that you may need to help in the diagnosis. It would be the quickest route potentially to get effective treatment. ( even ER is not a guarantee of diagnosis and effective treatment however)

I hope this helps, let me know if you have further questions or discussion.

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it somehow be related to ulcers?
Hello again,

Well stomach ulcers would be expected to cause more mid- abdominal to upper abdominal pain.... Not so much lower abdominal pain...Still our internal organs when they hurt can be very poorly localized.. So it is possible I would say.

You may have erosions of the intestine or colon as well. The same factors may contribute to a large extent such as stress and poor nutrition.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im down 11.3# XXXXX monday
Hello again,

That trend is very concerning!!! It sounds that you probably do need to proceed to the ER. You will probably need IV fluids to correct dehydration!! You have become significantly dehydrated based on this degree of weight loss in such a short time!!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if im drinking a lot
Hello again,

If you are now able to drink plenty then this should help to correct your dehydration. So this would be Ok to proceed then with oral hydration. We would prefer this in general to IV hydration. I would caution you to watch for symptoms such as worsened tachycardia and light headed sensation as warning signs. The pain then would remain as the main determinant of whether you need to be seen in the ER or tomorrow or at all ( perhaps not at all if symptoms resolve)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive been drinking plenty since monday
Hello again,

OK well that is reassuring. If you are drinking plenty now and taking in oral calories then that is key to your improvement. Watch for signs of dehydration and other concerning symptoms such as the lower abdominal pain. We would prefer for you to correct the dehydration with oral fluids actually...

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further . Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive been drinking like 60 oz of water a day
Hello!

OK-- that sounds pretty good -- with dehydration correction I would advise that you try 8 to 12 fluid ounces every two hours while awake if you are comfortable with this intake...

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im getting scoped on monday
Hello again,

I think that procedure will be most helpful to see exactly what is going on with your esophagus and stomach. This procedure will view the first part if the duodenum as well. Good luck with your procedure. I hope that all goes well.

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last time i had ulcers i had gastric and duodenum
Ulcers
Hello again,

You may have the same pattern. Whatever is going on the key is to get this healed up. Hopefully your results won't be as bad as what you described for the previous time. In the meantime continue your medication and cautious diet. Do get nutrition as part of what you need however!! This is too frequently overlooked... Must have good nutrition to heal....

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My gi dr wants me on clear liquids until he scopes me.
Hello again,

Well I would say that clear liquids would be important to observe for up to 24 hours before the procedure ( NPO after midnight before) full liquids would allow better nutrition--- milkshakes or Ensure or Boost...

I hope this helps! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said to stay on clear liquids
Hello

Well stay on the clear liquids
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know why dr chip wont respond to my questions?
Hello again,

No I don' t know what is going on with that.... I don't know if he is even online right now???

Take care, Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If im acidotic can i still get sedated for the scope on monday?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My scope in January showed: gastric mucosal abnormality in the fundus characterized by erytema, erosion and hemorrhagic appearance. Gastric mucosal abnormality in the bidy characterized by erythema ad erosion. Gastric mucosal abnormality in the antrum characterized by erythema, erosion and ulceration. Multiple duodenal ulcers and mucosal abnormality in the 2nd portion of the duodenum. Can prednisone cause ulcers?
Hello again,

Yes prednisone may impair healing of tissues including that of the GO tract . In general this potential adverse effect is proportional to dose and length of time on treatment. It inhibits protective prostaglandins of the stomach/ GI tract . This effect is similar to that of non- steroidal anti- inflammatory MEDS. Prednisone is not so commonly a culprit for trouble mainly because most treatment courses are short term.

Also of interest is that prednisone or similar steroid may be used for treatment with certain inflammatory conditions if the GI TRACT such as Crohn's disease for example.

At this pint you should stop the prednisone as treated the stomach and helping to heal probable gastritis and ulcers would be more important than treating the Costochondritis.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions. I'll be happy to get back with you. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it would not be likely that the prednisone would be causing this? I still have 3 weeks left of it
Hello again,

Well with you probably or very likely to have ACTIVE ulcers I would advise that you STOP the prednisone at this time!! The prednisone inhibits a series if prostaglandins INCLUDING SOME THAT ARE NEEDED FOR
HEALING!!!!

The costochondritis is much less important medically as compared to ulcer disease!! Your treatment plan needs to emphasize treatment to promote healing of the stomach !!!

The costochondritis us just more of a nuisance and not serious medically speaking.

I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you! Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should i ask the gi dr
Hello again,

Sure that's fine but I tell you the fact the prednisone is not good for your stomach healing....

Best regards>> Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is chemical gastropathy? The path report from the jan scope showed that
Hello again ,

I would interpret that as being disease or irritation of the stomach being induced or associated with some substance---this could be alcohol or medication...

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Besides medications/alcohol what could cause it
Hello again,

Possible causes may include H. Pylori, irritating spicy or acidic foods , poor nutrition, stress or OTC MEDS such as aspirin, Advil, Aleve for example. Viral GI infections may also be potential culprits.

Best regards --

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i get scoped if im acidotic
Hello again!

You mean acidic? Yes you may be scoped--- your body's pH is rarely going to vary far from 7.40... The stomach will be acidic with very low pH however... This would not impact you having endoscopy however,,,

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Acidotic. From starving
Hello againYes you need nutrition // I advised that you take in calories but you only argued with me that your GI doc wants you for days on nothing but clears --- I know this is stupid and counter- productive but I am not wishing to participate in argument --- you need nutrition I know and you as a nurse should know this as well--- lack of calories will serve only to cause catabolic state, make you feel terrible and worsen ulcers ...I hope this helps. Best regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know i need nurtients. I tried eating an apple and it hurt my stomache
Hello again,

Well an apple is good nutrition but it is a bit acidic (vitamin C content). A soup or mashed potatoes or milkshake would be better tolerated. Bland type foods are easiest to digest. Milk or milkshake is a buffer which neutralizes acid present in your stomach.

I hope this is helpful for you. I hope that you feel better soon!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did a UA for lower abdominal pain it showed WBCs, biliruben, ketones
Hello again,

The white cells( or positive leukocyte esterace) would suggest infection. A microscopic urine exam would usually be done to confirm infection. A urine culture is often done to establish bacteria present and antibiotic sensitivities. This would be especially helpful in light if your recent allergic reactions.

The urobilonogen should be checked with a blood test of liver function tests including bilirubin count.

The ketones confirm that you are currently suffering calorie deficit and are in a catabolic state. ( suffering malnutrition in other words)

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about sugar free popsicles
Hello!

Well those would provide liquid but no nutrition and no calories. Now is not the time to diet!! You need some nutrition! Your body is breaking down cell components to create energy!! You will definitely feel like crap in this state! You would benefit from some source if energy even hard candy... You won't gain weight right now -- no worry about that -- your illness and weight drop will take to time to recover...

I hope this helps. Get well soon!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not trying to diet. I fricken hurt. This is not me trying to diet. I promise. Ive never hurt this bad
Hello again,

I was only making a point that your body is suffering from lack of any input of energy right now. I am sorry that you hurt and are suffering. Some gentle nutrition would be helpful to your condition right now. Popsicle is OK but why make it a sugar free variety when your body is starving?? That choice makes zero sense.... Your body' s ability to heal is going to be proportional to your nutritional input.

I hope this helps and that you feel better soon...

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sugar free popsickles at home already. What else can i eat
Hello again,

The Popsicles can provide liquid but they just lack any nutritional value --- they won't hurt you in other words. Something with nutritional value or calories should be included. Jello ( not sugar free) would be an option... Iced tea sweetened with sugar or Gatorade would be an option and these would still be clear liquids... Anything with sugar would at least provide you energy and decrease your body producing ketones...

I hope this helps. Get well soon

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can ulcers really cause this much pain
Hi again,

Of course they can cause incredible pain. I'm sorry that you are in so much pain. I hope that you feel better soon!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can i do for it. I have tramadol 50 mg
Hello!

The best solution for you would probably be a prescription for a GI cocktail. This would typically include a mix of viscous Lidocaine plus Mylanta(often with Reglan but does not have to be part of the mix) the viscous lidocaine is only available by prescription. Mylanta alone may be if some helpful for you...the Ultram is a moderate pain reliever and may help take the edge off...

I hope this is helpful for you! Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What else besides ulcers can cause this
Hello again,

Well many things could cause intense abdominal pain.... Pancreatitis... Intra-abdominal infections.... Intestinal obstruction ....gallstones...gallbladder infection.... Ischemic bowel( not likely a problem at your age...) and other possible causes....

Your history does seem most likely to be recurrence of ulcers as you have has this issue in the past.

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My leg muscles feel crampy
Hello!

That may be due to electrolyte abnormalities. Your poor intake recently and dehydration could certainly lead to muscle cramps. The same problem arises with heat exhaustion for example. Replacing fluid and electorates may help. It would be most helpful to you! Low potassium would be common culprit but other electrolytes could be problematic in this regard. Gatorade tends to help to replace electrolytes gently.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns and I will be happy to get back with you. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How is it that ive basically have slept since 7pm yesterday until now only waking up for a couple 5 minute incraments
Hello again,

Illness puts major stress on your body. It is common for a person to have dramatically increased sleep requirement when a significant illness is present.

I hope that you are doing better today. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You think i have a significant illness

Yes of course you have a significant illness!! How bad does it have to get?? You have probable ulcers , nausea and vomiting to the point you became dehydrated. You sounded to be on the verge of needing hospitalization...

I hope that you are doing better today and continue to improve!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think my gi dr would suggest hospitalization adter my scope monday
Hello again,

If you had bleeding ulcers found on your endoscopy then that would be the main reason that you might have to be hospitalized. In general this would not be necessary. If you remain severely dehydrated then this too could be a valid reason for which you may need to be in hospital. Hopefully your procedure will go well and your recovery will continue smoothly.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats the symptoms of a bleedinf ulcer vs just an ulcer? How long will it hurt? What can they do fo relieve the pain until its healed
Hello again,

Well the inclusion of viscous lidocaine as a part of a GI cocktail is the best way to help with pain from active ulcers. I mentioned this before. Viscous lidocaine may be mixed with Mylanta ( and sometimes also mixed with Reglan syrup) it numbs surfaces that it comes into contact with. Viscous lidocaine does require a prescription so your could ask your doctor about this at your next opportunity. If you still have Carafate then this medicine tends to cover and protect ulcers and this should help. Don't use this product within 24 to 36 hours of your endoscopy though as it may interfere with the appearance of the stomach mucosa on direct exam.

I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long will it hurt
Hello again,

It depends on how well you take care of them. Good nutrition and taking your medicine such as Protonix should lead to healing within several weeks( 3 to 6 typical) on the other hand I have seen patients who smoked and did not eat and have to have surgery to remove over half the stomach and even then stayed in chronic pain. So to avoid this latter outcome you are advised to keep good nutrition to the best if your ability.

I hope that this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im trying to eat. Today i had some sherbet
Hi again,

Well that is a start. I realize that it is hard to get nutrition in while you have stomach ulcers. Still there are forms of getting decent liquid nutrition that will help you heal. A prolonged starvation plus ulcers is a formula for disaster however.

I hope that you recover soon. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you were my dr what would you do
Hello again,

I would have you on a PPI( such as Protonix or Dexilant or Nexium) plus Carafate and a GI cocktail for short term as needed. As I said before I would favor a full liquid diet to benefit nutrition( ok clear liquids is the first thing to try with ongoing vomiting) I would encourage salt containing fluids such as soups as being better tolerated than water( water has such low osmolality that it may increase swelling of the injured stomach wall) there is actually good reason that the old fashioned chicken soup helps!!

The GI cocktail may be repeated every few hours as needed for pain and could be given before you eat. I would stick to full liquids and encourage soups, Gatorade, iced tea, milkshakes , Ensure or Boost( your choice) and jello as options.

For the 24 hours prior to endoscopy return to only clears and then NPO after midnight on the night prior.

Well this would be my formula--- since you ask--- I'm not trying to get you to go against your doctor's advice... I hope that this perspective is helpful for you though ... You might call your doctor on call for you as an option too...

I hope this is helpful for you. I hope that you are feeling better soon. I'm sorry that you have had such a rough time of things lately. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My other issue is my pulse has been in the upper 40s all day
Hello again,

Ok 40's and not 140's right?? It sounds that you probably need reduction in dose of your beta blocker--- you might reduce dose by half and call your doctor on this!!

With the dramatic difference in your pulse rate I would recommend that you follow up with your cardiologist on this issue!! I think that a repeat holter monitor may be helpful. The nausea could be a confounding factor here as this causes a vagal response to lower your heart rate and blood pressure...

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. Best regards,

Anthony Bray Md
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now its 48 bpm. If im severely dehydrated can i still get sedated?
Hello !

I doubt that you are so unstable to prevent you being sedated for the procedure. Keep in mind that very serious patients will have to have endoscopy done. I don't think that you are in the more serious end of the spectrum but I know that things have been bad enough! Hopefully you will heal and have less of these health issues in the days ahead.

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didnt think i was seriously dehydrated.
Hello again,

You said you had at one point an eleven pound drop in weight, right?? That is pretty significant. Have you had symptoms of volume depletion? Have you felt light headed? Has low blood pressure? I would think that you would be more likely to have a tachycardic response if you were too volume depleted though... Still if 11 pounds down that is bad enough!! As you know from peds 5 to 10 percent weight loss is moderately severe and greater than 10% is very severe dehydration....

I hope that this helps. Get well soon! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its now 12.7# down. Im light headed, idk what my bp is. My mouth is dry and tacky and my lips are dry too. I just want to feel better
Hello again,

I hope that you feel better soon too!! Just do your best to steadily take sips of fluids. Don't gulp a lot at a time or you will probably throw that up. The technique is just steady sips and keep track of how you feel. It would be helpful of course if you could at least stabilize your weight and not lose further. Hopefully you may be able to add back a pound or two... I hope this is helpful for you!

Take Care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If my lower right sided abdominal pain is froma uti how long until it stops hurting
Hello!

If you had a bladder infection causing pain and this was being effectively treated with antibiotic then you would typically feel better in 2 or 3 days. If you had a kidney infection along with ureter irritation then this would take typically a week or so to improve even with effective treatment. If you had a complicating factor such as a kidney stone in a ureter then this would be more open ended as to the time frame if improvement.

Do you feel that you have a UTI now? If so has this been diagnosed? Are you on treatment? Is this speculation?

Let me know and I will get back with you.. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive had lower abdominal pain starting on thursday afternoon. Friday my pcp did a ua which showed 10-14 wbc/field. He started me on cipro 250 mg bid for 5 days. I dont have any symptoms of a uti besides the pain in my abdomen.
Hello again,

I see....well if just a bladder infection then that would cover you.... Your nausea has probably been due to your stomach but a kidney infection could also produce severe nausea...you had a fever one day several days ago to the best of my recollection too.... A bladder infection would not cause fever but a kidney infection would...you may want to follow up on this to make sure that UTI has cleared..

Best regards ,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do a repeat ua when im done with the antibiotic?
Hi again,

Yes that would be the best ...

Take care---Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you remember at the end of march i had a cyst thst was causing pain. This is what it feels like
Hello again,

This is second attempt to answer this question ...thread is too long... Causing system to gum up... My answer was not processed ...it is taking forever to load question ... You must start new thread for me to answer further !!!