Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I have been a smoker for 12 years. About a pack a day sometimes

I have been a smoker for 12 years. About a pack a day sometimes a few more on the weekeds. It has ruined my life because I can't do the things I once did, like play basketball. I finally had a revelation. TIME TO QUIT. I started chantix a week from sunday. On sunday morning 3 days ago I had my last cigarette and have been cigarette and nicotine free for 72 hours, plus I have had no desire to smoke or use nicorette or patches . I feel like Chantix is a god sent. 4 quick questions. 1. How long does it take for ones body to get ride of the physical addiction of nicotine? When will the nicotine no longer be in my body? Like I said I have been a smoker for 12 years. 2. Why is chantix prescribed for such a long period of time even after the nicotine is out of my system? I know that mental addiction is the hardest of them all. I'm working out like a manic. I burned 4,000 calories today. When should my lungs and heart start to rejuvenate to healthy levels? I'm 30 years old, 5'9, and 215. I'm on a big health kick because I'm going to have a baby in the next 9 months.

I appreciate your efforts and determination to quit smoking.

And i also want to encourage you to achieve your goal of no smoking at all.

Do you experience any symptoms?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any other medications?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After taking and smoking on the chantix for the first week, which are the directions, I have quit cold turkey. I am not experiencing any withdrawal symptoms. Medical history...I have great family genes. Grandpa's on both sides smoked until they were 95 and both grandmothers smoked until they were 91 and 93. The only thing that runs in my family is hypertension on my father's side which has beeen controlled by liptor and other meds. I take 40 mg's of proparnolol 2x's a day (just for anxiety). 2 mg of klonopin 4x's a day, 200 mg of zoloft, and 200 mg of trazodone before bed. I have perfect cholesterol, my blood pressure is always high at home but normal when i see my doctor, I have sleep apnea and OCD

Thanks for providing more information.

Nicotine or cotinine(metabolite of nicotine)will remain in the body for 3-4 days after last dose of smoking.

Since nicotine is a water soluble drug,drinking a lot of water and fruit juices will help in faster elimination from the body.

Nicotine withdrawal starts after 48 hours of cessation of smoking due to the levels of nicotine falling in the body due to its excretion.

Physical addiction of nicotine lasts for few days to few weeks after complete cessation of smoking.

Chantix should be taken for 12 weeks after quitting smoking to prevent any withdrawal effects and desire to smoke again.

Once you start taking Chantix, choose a quit date that is between 8 and 35 days after you start treatment.

Having said this,as you have history of high blood pressure,anxiety issues so it is advised to discuss about your smoking cessation with your doctor.

You may also require some behavioural support and counselling.

After 2-3 months of smoking cessation,your blood circulation and lungs function improves.

After 9 months,cilia restart normal function of your lungs and increase the ability to handle mucus,clean lungs and reduce the risk of infection.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.