A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I am 60 years old. Excellent health. Issue: Esophageal

I am 60 years old. Excellent health.
Issue: Esophageal Spasms

First 53 years no problems with Esophagus.
At 53, I began to smoke everyday for 5 straight years.
On the fifth year of smoking, I began to have trouble swallowing. Food would stop going down my esophagus, and a reaction ( spasm ) would result in coughing up all food in my esophagus. After about 30 mins, my esophagus would relax and I could anything I wanted. This happened repeatly.

On the 5 year of smoking, I stopped. Once every two months, I experience the same routine, even though I don't smoke anymore, and only when I eat sticky or oily food ( rice, olive oil on pasta, some chips). The food feels like it sticks to the esophagus and a reaction (spasm) begins. But it always clear after about 30 mins. and after throwing up of all food stuck in my esophagus.

Do I need a muscle relaxant?

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

Have you seen a gastroenterologist and had an endoscopy?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I have not been to a gastroenterologist. I have not had an endoscopy.

Thanks for the additional information. It would take more than 30 minutes for a muscle relaxant to work so that wouldn't help. An endoscopy would determine if there is some reason for the spasm such as reflux. Avoiding the foods that cause it would be another thing to try.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since this condition is rare, normally I eat just fine with most all foods, I plan to take your advice. I will just try to avoid those foods which lead to this outcome.

If I notice that it is getting worse, I will contact a doctor. Thanks

That sounds like a good plan. Just be sure to check with your medical provider if it gets worse.

Kind regards,