Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

hi..im in pain.my right arm has a constant throbbing pain going

hi..im in pain.my right arm has a constant throbbing pain going from my shoulder down to my thumb and is constant.It started three days ago as a dull throb and now is worse.lieing in bed it really really aches and wont go away.ive tried ibuprofen but nothing works.Its I guess a trapped nerve but its really hurting and I cant sleep.what is it and what do you recommend please?..ive no doctor at the moment

mike
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you have any numbness/tingling sensation in right arm?
Any history of picking heavy weights?
Have you undergone any tests so far?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi.yes i have some numbness and yes tingling sensation..its the throbing pain going into my thumb from my elbow thats bad...seems worse as im lieing down in bed and its stopping me sleeping.no to heavy weights and no tests so far..thought id ask you guys first.

its pretty constant.

Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Yes,you are right.The symptoms you are having can be due to cervical spondylitis and/or spondylosis.It is generally caused by the compression of spinal nerves.Any compromise of the nerve space in the spinal column can lead to compression of the nerve endings and can cause the pain, numbness or tingling sensation & other symptoms.

This occurs because of lumbar radiculopathy,spinal disc herniation,wear and tear or degeneration of the discs.

You need following tests:

-CT scan of upper spine
-Electromyography(EMG)
-Nerve conduction studies,
-Certain blood tests,
-Electro physiological studies &Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

Treatment includes soft cervical collar, analgesics, anti-inflammatory, local heat, possibly traction , and isometric exercises.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.As Ibuprofen has not helped you and you still have the severe pain,so I advice you to go to ER for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks..ill try..i have had a spinal lower back issue before and the problem went away many years ago..ill see a specialist if it does not go away.

Dear Mike,
Thank you for rating my answer as 'excellent service'.

Yes,you need to consult a spine specialist for these tests to confirm the underlying & hence accordingly the treatment will be done.

Conservative treatment options are:Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs),Cold therapy, heat therapy or both,Oral Steroid Medications,Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) delivers a tiny electrical current to key points on a nerve pathway,Epidural Steroid Injections.Injections of cortisone can be administered directly in the area of nerve compression.

Your doctor may have you wear a back brace or corset for a short time to increase your comfort and help you to regain mobility.

All this will help you greatly for pain relief.

Hope this helped

Thank you!

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Hi Mike

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor?
Was final diagnosis confirmed as nerve root compression?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles